Thorin's Movie Company

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
brego

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 am

So now that there are official images of the Dwarves on the net what do we think?
I still haven’t made my mind up regarding Killi & Filli. The rest I love, they all have such fantastic character. Im so glad they dont just look like variants of Gimli. Having said that there is a definite family resemblance between Gloin and Gimli...
Any thoughts?

Áre Fírmaethor

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#2 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 am

To be frank...Balin REALLY disappoints me. He looks like a midget version of Santa, what with his thick, poofy white beard.   Very unlike him....

Fili and Kili annoy me as well. I am not too keen on Fili's "Californian surfer Dwarf" look (i.e. the bleach blonde hair), although the rest of him is quite good; Kili is the one I have the most problems with. I understand why they did not give him a beard (to illustrate his youth), but the long Elf hair?? Really????   *Sigh*...And he already has that look - that "I'm the movie's sex symbol and every girl will find me WILDLY attractive" appearance. Thankfully (and I know that that is the wrong word, but in a way, I am strangely thankful), both twins die in the end, so even though the fanfiction sites will be overflowing with Kili/OC stories, at least the Dwarves get to die heroes's deaths.

Other than that...all the others are very well done. I do like Bifur's axe-shaped part in his hair. I like to think that he achieved that in a battle.  

Oerath Windsoul

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#3 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm not so hardcore that I would care about such things as 'appearances of a couple of dwarves'; but in my opinion, all of them looked cool enough.

I've high expectations for the two movies, but at the same time I constantly remind myself of the fact that books are very hard to top. Even GOT (Game of Thrones), which still feels so magical and unbelievable (it must be one of those 'once in a life-time' television series), the actual books are very magnificent also, so it's hard to choose, but if you're after the real experience, go for the books, then for the movies. Classical way of doing things.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

brego

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm

I think Killi does have a beard, it looks like it may be tied or braided into a single central plat....

I was expecting Killi and Filli to look if not like twins then very obviously brothers.

Anyhow dont forget that all of the Dwarves will start of looking rather lower class, for Dwarves and once they reach The Lonely Mountain change costumes for some really expensive and ornate Dwarvish courture!

brego

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#5 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Ive just had another close look and I believe that the Dwarves hands seem to have been enlarges or at least made look more stumpy and strong.  Also love the detailing on some of the coats and clothing.

galin

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#6 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:19 am

I'm not so hardcore that I would care about such things as 'appearances of a couple of dwarves'; but in my opinion, all of them looked cool enough. 

I don't feel it's necessarily hardcore to care about getting the visuals right even if it involves only a couple of Dwarves. A couple of Dwarves that are silly looking (which is admittedly a subjective judgement), or that look contrary to the way Tolkien's Dwarves are described, might not only 'affect the moment' for readers, but here they would also appear fairly consistently throughout the film.

Jackson fans often enough praise his visual interpretations, or base a given argument on the fact that film is a visual medium, and even one notably tall Dwarf, for instance, could remind the reader that this goes against Tolkien's world (also reminding that one is watching a film).

leelee

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#7 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I must concur with Galin. The trouble is the public is so jaded  by movie stars and their unreal looks of perfection and such and my opinion is that of course Peter and co. realize that if they don`t have a jolly good ounce of hollywood glamour and sex appeal then the majority simply won`t wish to see it. Thus the dwarf that is pretty and a lot of other stuff. Had this movie been made in the fifties and had color I should not be surprised if the integrity of the book would not be uppermost in the mind and simply be portrayed pretty much as it was written.Also the almost hero worship of the public for our esteemed professor might well have swayed the day against those who would have sought to simply sensationalize the story by adding things to draw the money by glitzing things up.It would have mattered that just two dwarves looked silly.

brego

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#8 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Yes true Lee Lee.  I'm disappointed with Kili & Fili as I was hoping for a more gutsy perhaps twin like dwarven youngsters.  The dark haired one Aiden someone is a great actor and is well known in the UK as a sex symbol.  PJ seems to be cashing in on this as he indeed makes a sexy Dwarf.  Will be interesting to see the Dwarves in action.  Has anyone noticed in the images which have been released that the Dwarves arms, Legs and hands seem to have been altered?  Hands & Feet have been enlarged it seems, to perhaps make the arms and legs look shorter/ stouter.  Gloin of course retains the family resemblance....

brego

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#9 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Just saw some footage of filming in what looks like Mirkwood on TOR.net

Looking good I must say, you see Nori and Fili running, they seem to be wearing very simple cloaks and garments and look very tatty.  I think the garments the Dwarves are wearing in the promo images might be those wither supplied in Lake Town or items found in the Lonely Mountain halls....

You also see gandalf looking, wel, very Gandalfian!

Gamaliel

Thorin's Movie Company

Post#10 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Why do we have to have so many sexified dwarves? Or any, in fact?

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”