I just saw The Hobbit!

The forthcoming Hobbit movie

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Greetings, fellow Planetarians!

Been gone a while, got back just in time. Have I been missed? Hope so, hope not.

I just saw The Hobbit. Charming, beautifully done, VERY beautifully done... Thorin is wonderful, all one could hope for. All the dwarves are great! Fili and Kili, goodness gracious!

Gandalf looks older, Galadriel looks younger. Elrond is gorgeous, what can one say...

Yes, several liberties taken, but none struck me as violations of the spirit. Certain aspects stressed so as to enforce a point and set the scene for something else, but again, nothing offensive at all. Several surprises, mostly agreeable. Won't say more until we get a discussion going among viewers, don't want to spoil.

I went in anxious, I came out happy. I went with my son and my mother, we all enjoyed. I will see it again, maybe twice more.

Final conclusion at the moment: if you really want to enjoy the films, you should have gone through the books first. Still have some time, you guys and gals!

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

Welcome back Marghana :) I love PJ's version of The Hobbit :)

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Everyone should read the book first if they want total awesomeness!

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#4 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:22 am

Just seen it as well, in 3d! It's so epic. I didn't want it to end and i just can't wait for the next one.

finrod althor

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#5 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 am

I must agree with Marghana, I went in with extreme anxiety but walked out with a smile on my face.  Fifteen years ago, I would have argued (an did!) that the MiddleEarth I love dearly could not be done justice.  I was pleasantly surprised and in some instances blown away with Jackson's work in LOTR, and feel the same way after viewing the Hobbit.  I look forward to the next episode and to reading new posts from those being introduced to Master Tolkien's world!

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#6 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:43 am

I went to see the Hobbit and enjoyed it a lot and even more the second time around too. True that some scenes were re-written but I understand why it was done. I don't feel that it affected the story negatively.

Now I am hungry to re-read LOTR and the Hobbit and eager for the next film. 1year is too long to wait for the next Hobbit film.

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Can't wait until tomorow because Ill finally return to ME on the screen!!!

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#8 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 am

Can't wait until tomorow because Ill finally return to ME on the screen!!!

That's what I was doing. before the movie I avoided comments and opinions, even majority of the pictures and trailers ;) Too bad the movie just came into my country, so I many people watched it before and now I'm a bit delayed ;)

I'm waiting for your opinion about the movie, Brego! Good to see your posts again (not because you weren't posting, but because I wasn't online for some time ;))

EDIT: Brego, I'm looking forward to you opinion about the music ;)

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#9 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Indis, see the other movie post, but ill say here that the music was wonderful.
The Dwarven theme is wonderful. And the return to Imladris made me cry.

tom bombadil

I just saw The Hobbit!

Post#10 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:21 am

Good morning friends,

I saw this post here and I could not just leave it. I had to write down what I think of the movie. 

I am sorry I just pop out here and write down a more or less critical text without writing somthing about myself. I guess by the wander of my fingertips that this might be a sign of precaution. Being the loudest and as soon as it goes heavy keep quiet is nothing rare in our society...

The movie was, against my expectations, not bad. It was quiet good. I enjoyed the music, especially the song of the dwarves in the beginning. Made me shiver. 

Certain characters were developed quiet well (the brown magician for example) and the scene with all the orks in the mountains was striking. Really.

But like everything in live it also had some negative aspects in my opinion:

The sorcerer he invented was useless and considering that there are just very few magicians on middle-earth (gandalf and company) make it hard to believe that suddently there is a sorcerer trying out some things.

Additionally the meeting with Galadriel and Saruman was not that well either. Why put Saruman in that round? Just to creat some more background and connections even though Tolkien created a background for around 50 books to write?

Totally hated the german translation of one of the riddles of gollum (I watched it in german first), and I think it's sad that they changed the scene where Bilbo comes back to the group (after solving Gollums riddles). 

On the other Hand the technique is amazing. Nearly stunning!

My negative aspects are minor of course, but they're there... All in all it was a good movie, though not to compare with 'The lord of the rings', but good. And this is what counts, right?

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”