feminist-elve Tauriel

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
Balrogs R Us

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Wow, spoiler alert!!! Might want to edit your post and add that at the top...even if they are just rumors.

I have a strong life philosophy to never judge anything until I know for myself. So I don't feel strongly either way at this point. Having said that, it does seem unnecessary and just an attempt to appeal to a specific demographic, like elves at Helms Deep. However, as ridiculous as it was to the theme, I enjoyed seeing an elven army team up with the likes of men. After all, it is a movie. So since I spent 10 years bracing myself for something like this...it is what it is. A book to film adaptation, and films require a romantic interest.

To me she seems like nothing more than a female Legolas, so I wouldn't say she's going to be all super powered out. I was able to get over Azog being alive, so we'll see.

Morinyelle

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Kili is the movies sex symbol... handsome dwarf must have love interest.  Apparently, that is the logic they go for.  I was fine with a main guard, one that at least communicates more with the dwarves;  but one that falls for the one?  No.  They've gone wayyy to far already, and if what you say is true- about Kili defending Tauriel instead of Thorin- then someone needs to seriously complain.  They're heading into cheesy, fangirl territory here... 

l

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#3 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am

*** SPOILERS BELOW***

(CM Amarië popped by and added spoiler warning.)

Anyone else here suffering of a super headache when thinking of the super feminist elve Tauriel? An elven maid, apparently created by PJ (or whoever had that idea) to give the movies a romantic and feminist background. Do I sound angry? Yes! I think the story is perfect the way it is in the books and I don't see the need for a female character and above all one that Kili falls for! Why in Eru's name do we need a female elve as love interest for one of the dwarves?!? And worse: according to several internet rumours Kili dies defending not his uncle Thorin but this Tauriel. Oh Elbereth! Tauriel is described as being apparently the super feminist elve: she is not just any elve, no she is the leader of the elven guard! Yeah...right. And she can wield any weapon! Yeah...sure...*face palm*. Sounds like the elven super woman to me. Maybe she should have been in the Avengers instead of the Hobbit... *sighs*. So, what do you peeps think?

brego

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#4 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok so we know she's an Elf and she's female. Calm down people, we haven't even seen an image of her yet and your already angry. Lets wait till the movie has shown at least. God forbid PJ may even put more females in the next films! Also wasn't there a warrior woman in TTT? Her name was Eowyn. I see nothing wrong with PJ adding a few characters, especially strong women.

Ainulindale

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#5 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:55 pm

It seems like PJ is trying to make up for all the things he had to leave out of the LORT. Too much is never enough when it comes to Tolkien and I love all the movies. But now that he has the power he is being vary indulgent. The Hobbit could have been just as good without changing the story as much.  

Balrogs R Us

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm

I definitely agree with you Ainu. Just like LOTR, I'm not sure why he made certain unnecessary changes, if not for the sake of making it more Hollywood.

But, I still love them. To be completely honest, I just like seeing and hearing about Middle Earth more than the actual story. In the books of course the story is essential, but as a movie I just like to see Ents battling in Isenguard or dwarves mining in their cities or trolls storming the gates of Gondor....

So a female character is just to add to the movie experience. As long as it doesn't turn into a Twilight, I'll enjoy watching it. After all they added a lot to Aragorn/Arwen's romance in LOTR. And I'd say their plot line is one of the most remembered about the series by casual watchers. Probably purists too but for opposite reasons :p

brego

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

The back story of Arwen and Aragon was mined from the Apendices of TLOTR and other than the fact that Arwen replaced Glorfindel in rescuing Frodo PJ basically kept to the actual story. I loved the scenes between them, even the dream sequences and or telepathic meetings. Beautifully done.

I'm imagining that the crush on Tauriel by one of the Dwarves ( I heard it was Thorin ) won't be returned and lets face it its not the first time a Dwarf has fallen for an Elf. Sounds like fun. Looking forward to it.

I hear a new teaser is not far off! And that there may be additional White Council action between Radagast and Galadriel and also Radagast and Tree Beard! John Reece Davies (Gimli and the voice of Tree Beard) hinted last year that there may be involvement so perhaps Tree Beard makes an appearance, flashback maybe.....

Ainulindale

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#8 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I definitely love all that stuff the use of the appendixes and the way he altered the story to fit a time line I wish the LOTR had been 6 movies and included the war of the north and so on. I have read and heard that Tolkien wanted other people to continue developing his world but I have never found any books on Tolkien Legendarium by other author’s do these exist and or do the keepers of the Tolkien legacy want them to exist? 

Ithilyen

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#9 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 am

Maybe a platonic love? Like Gimli with Galadriel?

About Tauriel, love interest or non, I trust in PJ's prowess!

I remember the first time I saw dwarves images: i thought "Damn, what's this?". And then, on 13th December, I fell in love with every single character!

I'm sorry for my English, I'm a foreign dunce ^^'

Indis

feminist-elve Tauriel

Post#10 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Hmm, I'm not a fan of this idea - basically because there wasn't any Tauriel in the book ;) I get the vibe that filmmakers were worried about lack of female characters in the story. I understand that, and I just hope they won't copy Gimli's crush on Galadriel from Fellowship of The Ring.

By the way - wouldn't Galadriel be the best feminist elf in the Middle Earth realm?

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”