Men and dwarves marriage?

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
madame tortilla

Post#1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 pm

A question I've been asking myself lately, in fact. We have read about the mingling of races in ME, namely between Elves and Men but never between Men and Dwarves. Would it be possible for the races of Dwarves and Men to find each other attractive, marry and eventually produce children? I have the feeling that few dwarves would marry outside their race (and few dwarves are known to marry at all), which leads to another question:

-Why would a male dwarf find it difficult to be attracted to a woman from the race of Men?

Another interesting question could be the following: how do Men regard the Dwarf race? From Thorin's time labouring in the villages of Men I would suppose his memories were not particularly good. Men seem to regard all Dwarves as cruel, greedy and corrupt beings and the Dwarves have Men in low regards, I would say. Most of them, at least. This prejudice would affect any possible relationship between the two races; also I'm betting such a union would be looked down upon.

What are your thoughts?

glorfindel

Post#2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:04 am

I think it's unlikely but possible. After all dwarves became the eru's children. We've seen "interbreeding" between men, elves, maia, and orcs, so I think it's possible.

Balrogs R Us

Post#3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Yeah, I can't think of a single instance where it's even suggested a male dwarf was interested in women, or vice versa. We have of course Gimli being enamored with Galadriel, so maybe it's slightly possible there was an absolutely beautiful female that may have sort of resembled an elf. But, nothing comes to mind...

brego

Post#4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Agreed Balrogs.  I think that Gimli was probably enamored by the Elf Queen Power as well as her beauty.  It was after all Gimli who stated that Galadrial was "an Elf witch of Terrible power, all that look upon her are cast under her spell"  perhaps the old rumors where based on truth.

I certainly cant imagine a mortal Man or Elf coupling with a Dwarfet and or in reverse.  However stranger things have happened,

galin

Post#5 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 am

Is this a question with respect to Jackson's film world, or Tolkien's world?

For example, at the moment I don't recall Gimli referring to Galadriel as an Elf-witch in the books, but the thread in general seems to be about the possibility of Dwarves interbreeding in Tolkien's world... even if raised in a film forum.

Balrogs R Us

Post#6 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am

Looking too hard into it Galin. It's in respect to neither. Just a question about Middle Earth.

galin

Post#7 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:50 am

Hopefully Madame tortilla can answer too, since she asked, but in the film forums.

If it's about Middle-earth then to my mind it's about Tolkien's world, and the Gimli 'Elf-witch example' [for example] doesn't support anything if Tolkien's Gimli never said it... nor should any film rumors about Kili and Tauriel [with interbreeding being one of the questions raised], for another possible instance.

Balrogs R Us

Post#8 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:20 am

"We have read about the mingling of races in ME,"

Look at all the other non-film threads in these film forums too.

Jackson's Middle Earth really does not vary too vehemently from Tolkien's. Yes the plot lines that happen within it changes, but otherwise any changes are very subtle. Nobody even mentioned Tauriel or Kili, completely off topic, which has also been blown out of proportion.

It's a fairly simple question about ME that does not need to be complicated with the film/purist debate. Especially with a new member to our forum. That's all I'm saying. I mean heck, what would you answer differently either way? In neither instance do we have any evidence of dwarf/Man relationships.

So no, I don't think Men have ever married among dwarves. And I don't think they would, Mortal Men are too shallow.

In the books and in the movies.

Gwindor of Nargothrond

Post#9 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I wouldn't say it was impossible, however, Men an Elves are very similar structurally and mentally, both preferring access to the outside.  Dwarves, on the other hand, are content to dwell in the roots of a mountain and remain there for long periods of time.  I feel like that would be a huge obstruction to any possible relationship.

galin

Post#10 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 am

"We have read about the mingling of races in ME," Look at all the other non-film threads in these film forums too.

So it's a non-film thread [according to you at least].

And plenty of people do think Jackson's Middle-earth varies greatly from Tolkien's Middle-earth. And yes there are likely other non-film threads in the film forums -- doesn't mean that every thread there is wholly about the books however.

It's a fairly simple question about ME that does not need to be complicated with the film/purist debate. Especially with a new member to our forum.

Well I asked a fairly simple question, based on two factors [including Brego quoting from the films] that at least seemed to speak to this thread as possibly being a film thread [despite the word 'read' that I noted as well]. Is the thread about Jackson's world or Tolkien's, was all I asked.

In any case here you add your opinion about the films versus the books [referring to your: 'Jackson's Middle Earth really does not vary too vehemently from Tolkien's. Yes the plot lines that happen within it changes, but otherwise any changes are very subtle'] -- and then suggest that others shouldn't complicate the thread with any debate in this area.

I'm sorry but to me it seems fair enough for anyone to now respond to your statements here.

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”