The Desolation Of Smaug

The forthcoming Hobbit movie
galin

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#51 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 am

Brego wrote: I think the collective name as a whole for the Mirkwood Elved were the Green Elves. And indeed the ruling families were Silvan. Could be wrong.

As pointed out by our new member Gothmog, the Elves of Mirkwood were the Silvan Elves, or the East Elves for instance, generally speaking. The term Green Elves [Laegrim] refers to the 'Nandor' of Ossiriand. Oropher and Thranduil were Sindarin.

The Silvan Elves of Mirkwood outnumbered the Sindarin Elves there. Oropher had come among them with only a 'handful' of Sindarin folk, according to a late text.

And Brego, I took part in the discussion about the scene between Ian McKellen and Cate Blanchett, yes, as did you and a number of people here and on the web, but at no time was I 'hot under the collar' however.

And at the very least Balrogs posted that there was a reaction because these two people 'stared deeply into each others eyes', but as I stated, the gesture Balrogs forgot to mention is seen as notably intimate by some.

I also said, from the start, that this gesture does not necessarily mean 'romance', nor did I ever think Jackson was actually going to portray a romance between Galadriel and Gandalf.

galin

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#52 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 am

Brego, I can't speak for anyone else, but again I was not hot under the collar. If you interpret any post I write [including this one] as 'angry' or whatever, well I can't help that. I do consider how my posts might be read but one cannot know exactly how someone else will react to something. In any case...

... I actually know my own mood as I'm posting :)

I'm using Silvan Elves or Tawarwaith, as Tolkien did. Tawar means 'wood as material' while taur means 'great wood, forest' [the film's Tauriel intends to mean 'Forest-daughter' I'm guessing], but at least back in the 'Etymologies scenario' anyway, JRRT also seems to have noted that the word tawar could be used as if equal to taur.

Plus I like saying Tawarwaith.

brego

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#53 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:21 pm

mmm, well you don't need to speak for anyone else Galin because its all there for everyone to see.  Since your so keen on direct quotes, here are some of the many on the original post.

Galin said (on many different occasions,,,,)

Galin and the Galadriel Hair Touch....

In my opinion Galadriel's (-riel) gesture is more intimate-seeming that the other examples Brego raised above -- and it's being discussed already at various web sites, but has anyone ever brought up Aragorn kissing a dying Boromir, for example, as controversial in some way, or 'unTolkienian'?

There are various kinds of kisses, and a kiss can easily be less intimate than this gesture. And even a kiss between lovers can be arguably unTolkienian -- case in point, in my opinion (concerning which I'm not alone): Aragorn's 'attack' on Arwen in Gondor.

Can more context really turn this moment into something 'mutually agreed upon as uncontroversial' as far as capturing Tolkien goes (being faithful to the source material)? 

Brego wrote: We are forgetting Galadrials reaction in TLOTR in Loth Lorien when she finds out that he has fallen into shadow.

I'm not forgetting this moment in the books: 'At these words all the Elves in the hall cried aloud in grief and amazement. 'These are evil tidings' said Celeborn...'

I don't suppose that all the Elves present were so incredibly close to Gandalf that fiddling with his hair during a conversation in Imladris would seem quite natural. Galadriel speaks later, but I'm not sure your opinion is necessarily supported by her noting that none of the deeds in Gandalf's life were needless, or that: 'Those who followed him knew not his mind and cannot report his full purpose.'

and on and on.

gothmog of angband

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#54 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 am

Yeah, but Tolkien called the elves wood elves in his book, and silvan, as is widely accepted by fantasy fans, means wood or of the wood. He even called the lowly subjects of Thranduil wood elves

galin

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#55 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Brego, none of what you have posted indicates that I was angry, or 'hot under the collar' as you say. Not to me anyway.

and on and on.

Yes there are responses to points you or others were making as well, as part of a discussion.

My comments posted above, even out of context, seem polite enough to me. The thread is 'Hobbit Trailer' [Hobbit movie forum], which contains some interesting points. At times I do employ a 'smiley with tongue sticking out' at some sarcastic comments...

... but that's at least part of what this smiley is there for, in my opinion: to show that there is a humorous mood behind a given comment, not anger.

brego

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#56 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:40 pm

The new trailer is up online for TDOS....  Watched it twice, and Ive got to say its Epic!  As expected Smaug's voice is totally mesmerizing.... And I do believe the supposed love affair may now be put to rest. Quick shots of Beorn, Spiders, Dol Guldur and I do believe The Eye!

glorfindel

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#57 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

I can see it now. People are going to start talking about the scene with thranduil and tauriel. Hahaha

brego

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#58 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Yup Glorfindel. Legie has a crush on Tauriel, Tauriel has a crush on Thranduil. Its like Days of our Lives! lol. Looks like we are in for some Dragon Riddling.

aylee

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#59 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:56 am

This really is a good trailer.  Really like the scene between Gandalf and Bilbo "finding his courage."  I really like Bilbo in general.

The scene between Tauriel and Thranduil?  I am in agreement with Galin on this.  With this kind of innuendo in the trailer, people are going to talk about it.  I imagine that they are meant to.  That is just the reality of it.  Is it really such a terrible thing when people do talk about it?

galin

The Desolation Of Smaug

Post#60 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:20 am

Yeah, but Tolkien called the elves wood elves in his book, and silvan, as is widely accepted by fantasy fans, means wood or of the wood. He even called the lowly subjects of Thranduil wood elves

Despite that Brego hasn't acknowledged it Gothmog, you are correct. I would post citations at this point but all one need do is check the Silmarillion index here [Green Elves versus Silvan Elves], for example. Also one can check the chart in the back of The Silmarillion on the sundering of the Elves to find the Laiquendi of Ossiriand [Laegrim being a Sindarin term].

The word silvan or sylvan ['of, pertaining to, or inhabiting the woods'] has a Latin history, as Tolkien well knew of course, and is thus to be considered a 'modern' translation in terms of the conceit: JRRT as translator.

And of course people are now going to be talking about the Tauriel moments in this trailer. Jackson put them in after all. People are even talking about other people talking about them, I hear.

;)

Return to “The Hobbit (Movie)”