Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I wonder just for the sake of conversation, what kind of Ringbearer Déagol would have made if Sméagol had not murdered him. Can we presume that he would have been anything like Bilbo since he found it simply by chance?
Simply by chance?
... Surely you don't disbelieve the prophesies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don't really suppose do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? ...

From the last page of The Hobbit.
Once again we see the hand of Iluvatar at work in the fullness of time.

It is debatable what Déagol would have done with the ring had not Sméagol taken it, he certainly wouldn't have thought of making the journey to Mordor for its destruction. I like to think the ring would have had little power over Déagol and he would merely have kept it under a crystal cover on the mantle, next to the clock and the family photographs. :elfcool:
'Share and enjoy'

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I sort of think that Deagol would have had the same thing happen to him as matter how good a hobbit (or whatever) he was, it would have overcome him in the end. It might have taken a bit longer for Deagol to be Gollum-ized than it did for Smeagol, but in the end, it probably would have ended up the same way.

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree with Chika, it would have got him in the end, after all he was just a little Hobbit with no idea what he was getting himself into, and he picked friends like Smeagol, so if the ring didn't get him, I'm sure someone else would have killed him for it. for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Deagol probably would have been like Bilbo at first, but slowly over time the ring would have consumed him, just as it had begun to finally corrupt Bilbo.
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah I also think he would've been like Bilbo, but without the guidance of Gandalf would've ended up like Gollum.

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

We don't know very much about Deagol, except I think that Tolkien says he had good sight but was not strong. I think that the Ring would have definately eaten at him, but whether he would end up like Bilbo or Gollum or even Frodo is hard to tell because we don't know a lot about his intentions and personality.

Post#7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm

He would have been an interesting gollum :3 I would actually
Like to see a morphed pic of Thomas robins ( deagol) and see how cool he looks. I think he would have been freaky though. And he only had one logical line in rotk which was why? The rest was funny. ( I got a fish smeagol! I got a fisssshh!!!!!!!)

Post#8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

I don't think Deagol would've made a better Gollum. Smeagol seemed more psychopathic and mentally unstable.

Post#9 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 pm

With the advent of Time, even Bilbo, Frodo or Sam would have ended up just like Gollum. We are this briefly when Bilbo transforms when he sees the ring in Imladris. We see it also when Frodo demands the ring back after Sam saves him after his capture by the Orcs and also in Sams brief reluctance to give the ring back to Frodo upon his release.
The ring would eventually win over even the greatest of Middle Earth. Both Gandalf and Galadrial speak of this and unfortunately Deagol would have ended up just like poor Smeagol.

Post#10 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Correct, Brego. Not much would've changed even if Deagol got the ring instead of Smeagol. Everybody who bares the Ring is eventually ensnared by it. The Ring basically possesses any who carries it.

Return to “Characters”