the RING as a character

the RING as a character

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree, the ring certainly seems to have a will of its own, and even a personality--often described as treacherous. But then, that's probably because lots of the will and power of Sauron is bound up in that ring. A chip off the old block, on might say...

the RING as a character

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, the Ring is in essence Sauron's other half, so I think it's as much a character as he is. I mean if a big, red, flaming eye can be a plausible character with personality and depth - then so can an evil ring.
And JRRT certainly treats it as such in his wonderfully descriptive use of personification; the character of the ring even seems to develop as the story progresses.

the RING as a character

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah it probably is a character....besides I don´t think that when Sauron put his own BLOOD into the ring that it wouldn´t make it more alive.....He being a maia and all that shit....oh well..hehe Sauron is a little wacko...A wedding ring for himself :funnylaugh: who is he going to marry? the ring? :funnylaugh:
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

the RING as a character

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the ring is definately a character in its own right. A very important character (there would have been no story without it).

The ring has powers of its own and the ability to confer power (for which there is a price to be paid). The ring is most powerful in the hands of a person who is already powerful and ambitious since power and ambition are traits that it can exloit to its advantage.

The ring is also able to have some control over the identity of its bearer. It betrayed Isildur to his death, caused Deagol's murder and abandoned Gollum when it was finished with him. Even Bilbo and Frodo were not immune to its evil effects.

Sauron was the rings ultimate master, and the ring was always trying to return to him, by manipulating those unfortunate enough to be around it.

All of these things are central to the plot of LOTR. The ring must be destroyed - it cannot be used - and it is safest in the hands of the humblest of persons.
"May the Angels Guide"

the RING as a character

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it depends on what you define evil as. There were these philosophers, and their theories of evil I find applicable to Tolkien. This is the jist of their theories, I have not read very much by them but have heard them mentioned several times and so I think this is correct, tell me if I'm wrong.
One philosopher, called Boethius and he thinks: that evil is something in man, it is internal and to get rid of it we must fight ourselves.
The other philosopher had what is called the Manacaian (sp?) theory and thought the opposite, that evil is external.
We can look at this in terms of the Ring. If evil is internal, then I do not think the Ring is a character because the evil is in ourselves (as in, in Frodo, Gollum, etc.). If evil is external, then the Ring can certainly be classified as a character or an extension of Saurons character.
I tend to think that both are true. If the Ring is a character of its own, if it is external evil, then Frodo would have had a much easier time getting to Mount Doom because he would only have to fight Sauron and the Nazgul and he could have battled the powers of the Ring without battling himself. But as we see he does battle himself, so it cannot be only the Ring that is at work here.
Sorry if this is confusing or off topic, I just thought I'd mention it. The thing I find so realisitc about Tolkien's work is this pull between internal and external evil; LotR is not a one sided fanatasy with clear-cut good guys vs. bad guys and a definate winner.

the RING as a character

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:funnylaugh: The Ring is evil because it came from evil.
If Saruron was good then the Ring would be good. ;)
In a way, I think Tolkien wanted his readers to know that we all have a dark side. If we give in to our darker side then we can become like the Ringwraiths :shakehead:

the RING as a character

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Ring, being forged by Sauron, cannot be anything else but evil. I guess a part of his master's spirit has passed into it; how much, I do not know. It has a will of its own, that's for sure! You may say it's not just a thing, but that it's alive!
Metaphoricaly speaking, the Ring may be considered the symbol of power or, to put it better, of the desire to have power. But not a natural power, no! Rather an unusual force which drives the Ringbearer on a dark path, leading him to a terrible doom ...
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

the RING as a character

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it is more plausible to say that the ring, created with evil intent, will of course have evil uses. But ultimately, I think all the ring does is offer the bearer the temptation of power and let him create his own delusions of grandeur and therefore everyone's reason for wanting the ring is different and not because the will of the ring tempts them.

the RING as a character

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ah, but the Ring has a will to return to Sauron, its master, but you are right about the style of the different temptations. Each of those temptations is designed to eventually draw Sauron or his minions' eyes to the bearer of the Ring, that the Ring might once more be commanded by Sauron.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”