Was Eol really such a bad guy?

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

and the deeds he (Eöl) committed were no where as bad as those eventually committed by his son (Meaglin).
Nor even those of the malice filled sword Anglachel, in which still dwelt the dark heart of Eöl, he who had forged it. This was the same sword that was to cause so much pain and suffering to Turin, in later years.

Except of course we can lay much of that blame back at the hand of Eöl for imparting his malice into it. Which means Eöl's mis-deeds had far reaching effects.
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm pleased you have said that Grondy because I have spent the past three weeks working on a short story based entirely around your last paragraph. I'm hoping to have it finished in the next couple of weeks, and then you'll get to see why I think that malice came to be in the sword.

THINGOL77

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

ouch komosot.....,i kind of resent that.... :elf:

well...., first of all i do not think Thingol....the great elu Thingol....,the king of all moriquendi....,and the only one of them who saw cuivienen and the awakening of stars and the comming of the sun....,the only one among all moriquendi who was considered as a calaquendi because he saw not only the light of the trees but also saw valinor and the valars.....,could be considered as a weak and coward character....well, yes it is called mellian´s girdle but it was thingol who ruled it as a king and it was him who kept the realm of the thousand caves safe from morgoth...and from all realms it is the only one from those days which made it till saurons fall....besides he learned a lot from mellian and when he got back to his people, he was alike a lord of maiar....not to mention that he was wise enough to understand his daughter´s will....,(late, i know...., but he finally did..., did he not?)

well as for eol.... i do not think he was evil....,i think that he liked his solitud and he was independent....so he did not wanted to call anybody "lord",and when he felt himself betrayed and abandoned ,he rather had death than to subdue....,the problem was that he took the same decision for his son....and i think that was selfish....,but thrust me there are some countries where similar examples hapen every day....

hey val never told me you were writing a book....so are we going to read :read: it????...

Tinúviel

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think that Thingol was a coward by protecting his realm within the Girdle of Melian - it was actually quite an intelligent move; espercially after Melkor returned to Middle Earth with the Silmarils: the world was in complete darkness and his evil creatures were roaming free. And when it came to joining in the wars between the Elves and Morgoth maybe he was a bit 'removed', but you could say that Thingol did not rush in where Valar feared to tread.

Anyway, back to the topic... I don't think that Eol was entirely evil, in fact he was quite unfortunate: all he wanted was to live in his dark forest with his family, however I do not approve of his methods of securing a wife or of his selfish act when he tried to kill his son.
So although he was not evil as such, he was hardly a noble Elf.

MadWannabe

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, I totally agree that Eol is not totally evil. In fact I just find him to be a strong-willed person who is willing to do anything to get what he wants. He does not bore ill to anyone who does not offend him. However, I find that his son should be killed instead of him...I mean I hate him because...who would caused the death of his own father?!?!?!?!?

valedhelgwath

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

However, I find that his son should be killed instead of him...I mean I hate him because...who would caused the death of his own father?!?!?!?!?
Maeglin's reasons for wanting to go to Gondolin were because he did not want to spend his whole life cloistered in an isolated wood. He had heard tales from his mother about the wondrous city, and he wished to see it with his own eyes. His had no intention of causing his father's death, only to escape from the prison he was being kept in.

Since it was Eol's decision to follow them there, he cannot really be blamed for Eol's death. His father had tried to kill him after all. And for that matter, what other elf ever used poison on his darts?
hey val never told me you were writing a book....so are we going to read it????...
Not exactly a book, Thingol. It'll just be a short story like the other ones. Once it's finished I'll send it to the Writer's Panel to see if its good enough to be added to the Fan Writing section, and if so you'll be able to find it there a short time later. If its not good enough to be included, I'll email it to anyone who wants a copy.

THINGOL77

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think that Thingol was a coward by protecting his realm within the Girdle of Melian - it was actually quite an intelligent move

i could not say it better.....thnx....

Once it's finished I'll send it to the Writer's Panel to see if its good enough to be added to the Fan Writing section, and if so you'll be able to find it there a short time later. If its not good enough to be included, I'll email it to anyone who wants a copy.

first new i have got about this place....well...., i am a little bit distracted so....¿any indication where i could find that place???? ;) nn[Edited on 19/2/2003 by THINGOL77]

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Look to your left Thingol, on the menu bar, under general, is a section named Fan writing, click on it and be transported into Tolkien's extended world.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

valedhelgwath

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In addition Thingol, most of the stories in there also have a relevant thread in the Writer's Guild too, for any comments anyone may wish to make about them.

Elfstone

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading what everyone had to say, as I also have found Eol to be a very intriguing character. Personally I don’t think that Eol was evil. As others have pointed out, he was just different. I do think that Eol made some poor choices however (as have we all), and unfortunately, the consequences of those poor choices sowed not only the seeds of his own doom, but the downfall of Gondolin as well.
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Return to “Characters”