My new perspective of Gollum after watching the movie.

ProgHead777

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it's important that Gollum gained the ring through jealousy and murder, not through chance or as a real gift, as he began in evil and was doomed to corrupt quickly.

This is debatable. Some have suggested that, like Boromir, Gollum was instantly seduced by the Ring without ever having laid hands on it. Because he was likely weaker in many ways than Boromir, he succumbed much more quickly. In other words, as someone else (?) has said elsewhere, Smeagol probably would not have murdered Deagol for any other ring.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

MadWannabe: If you haven't already, you also might want to read [u]Am i the only one who pities Gollum?[/u] to see what some of the others have recently thought about Smeagol.
'Share and enjoy'

THINGOL77

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i think he was not evil,though he did not have a great moral.....maybe that is why he was so easily seduced by the ring..... :cyclops:

MadWannabe

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have read it already, Grondmaster but I was looking for a more thorough examination of Gollum...Is it ok? :)
Anyways, I disagree with you, Dain_II, I find that the ring will have the same effect on all the characters no matter who or how powerful they are. They will turn into a "wretched Gollum-like thing" after a brief period of power. It is like "the candle that burns the hottest burns the shortest"...they too will deteriote into something like Gollum...having the ring as a crutch, depending on it...
About Gollum not having morals, it can be debated using ProgHead777's about how fast the individual succumbs to the ring. In Boromir, when he was tempted by the ring he was almost willing to hurt Frodo for it. So I will just say that Gollum just sucumbed to the ring.

Aulë

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I must say that one of my favourite charachters in the MOVIE was Gollum, although I hated him in the books....But he is extremely COOL AND STRONG!!!
:goodnevil: Sméagol is a nice charachter with a funny remark about Sams´ tummy:D But Gollum is pure EVIL!!!!
hahahahhahaa :badsmiley:
nn[Edited on 15/3/2003 by Aulë]
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

LadyFeawen

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

When I read The Two Towers I had extreme compassion for Gollum,Even before I watched the movie(2 towers).
Its like He wants to be good,but He cant :(
Thats why I like Him...
~~ LadyFeawen~~
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

Aulë

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

HEy Dain....Long time no see! What have you been up to? Oh well about the Gollum thing....I LOVED GOLLUM!!! I mean he is one of my favourite characters in the movie.....He is soooooo cooolll my preciousssss!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true

You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Dain_II

Post#8 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:53 pm

MadWannabe began this thread with the following post

Gollum...aahhh....one of the major character in LOTR....was the one character that I didn't spend much time thinking about when I read the book...but after watching the movie, I was totally surprised to come out of the theater to learn something new about Gollum....
Firstly, when I read the book I did not pity Gollum at all. It was upon watching the movie that let me see Gollum in a different light. At first I thought Gollum was just a misunderstood bad guy and just shelved him at the back of my mind. After the movie, though, I realised that I missed out a lot of the subplots in Gollum's behavior....I can tell you the history of Gollum and how he became what he was, but the fact was that I didn't really treated him as a character.
The movie got me thinking about Gollum, no only his past and behavior but his psych and the way he thinks too...I started to realised how similar and different he was to all the characters in LOTR. Here is what I thought of him...pls comment after reading
1) Gollum was the result of any character who will be consumed by the ring. None of the characters will do any better than Gollum in possesion of the ring....they will end up serving the ring and their own selfish purposes.
2) Gollum was meant to be a sort of template as to how Frodo is behaving after holding the ring for a long period of time. It is to show the ring's power and that no one, not even a mortal with the greatest willpower could resist. In other words to show the degeneration of Frodo.
3) Gollum or should I call Smeagol has strong willpower by himself too...he was able to fight the temptation (even if for a while) to get the ring from Frodo. And when he killed his best friend for the ring is to signify that he made a major mistake and he felt there is no turning back...just like all normal humans feel.
4) Gollum is also meant to show there is good in everybody, and even if they are evil, it will serve the purpose of good well, like King Theoden so eloquently put it "oft evil will shall evil mar".
5) Gollum is also to show that the trust of people should not be betrayed. As illustrated in the incident of the forbidden pool, Frodo in Smeagol's eyes has "betrayed" him, and it was the catalyst in the diminishing of Smeagol and the eventual rise of Gollum to get Frodo back by betraying him to Frodo.
This is not all, but it should be enough to chew on for now now.

Bain II replied

I agree with you new assesment of Gollum, who I always found a bit tragic and pityable, and thought the film did a good job with that side of him.

I disagree only when you say:

Gollum was the result of any character who will be consumed by the ring. None of the characters will do any better than Gollum in possesion of the ring....they will end up serving the ring and their own selfish purposes.

I think it's important that Gollum gained the ring through jealousy and murder, not through chance or as a real gift, as he began in evil and was doomed to corrupt quickly. Also, if a more powerful character like Aragorn, Isildur or even Boromir got the ring, they would not turn into a wretched Gollum-creature, but a powerful, evil being (as Galadriel in the film shows), and though they would be overcome by the ring, it would not be in the same manner. I'm not sure if anyone could actually rival Sauron with his own ring, though Gandalf seems to say it...the ring is Sauron's, so wouldn't it betray even a powerful new master (as it did Isildur) to get back to Sauron?

ashley276

Post#9 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:32 pm

I think that when I read the books I pitied Gollum, not sure yet because I am re-reading them and I am not sure what I think of him. Well I do know that I pity him but I think that I agree with Sam that he cannot be trusted becuase he had the ring for too long and is totally corrupted by it. I think that he wants to do what is right but he is too consumed with the ring. In the end I think that everyone knew that Gollum/Smegol's desire for the ring would win out over his desire to be "good"

I think that I will finish the books again, and then repost with a fuller opinion.

Ashley276

Vee

Post#10 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:37 am

I always found Gollum in the books to be pitiable and pitiful and I didn't change my opinion of him at all after watching the films. Despite any changes made I thought the character of Gollum remained true to the book and well done Andy Serkis!

Gollum had his reasons for doing what he did but reasons aren't excuses and whether or not it was the fault of the ring he was what he became and it was sad. He was a villain, as Sam said, but a wretched one and I agree with Gandalf that he is to be pitied.

Return to “Characters”