Gollum

swampfaye

Gollum

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

you can't help but like him (a bit like Frodo did).

Frodo liked Sam, he did not like Gollum. Don't confuse affection for pitty. He always knew Gollum would betray him.

I don't know why so many people like Gollum. I thought he was a nasty little selfish twit. I feel the way Sam felt toward him. He was nothing more than a tool.

Yummy

Gollum

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was advised to come here to see a discussion about good and evil and Gollum, but I can't hang around here b/c you guys are talking about stuff I haven't read yet! :)

So, I'll just say this - I do like the way Gollum speaks, and I do have pitty for him - I had pitty for him in the Hobbit and FOTR, but I don't think he's a good character, nor is he like a misbehaving puppy. There's nothing positive about him - even if he does have redeeming moments later on, they aren't redeeming like when the bad puppy licks your cheek and wags his tail happily as you walk in the door, are they? I suspect not, so though I pity Gollum, I don't like him, and I wouldn't want him to be my puppy.

I do LUV the way he says pressssiousssssss in the movie and in the Hobbit cartoon. Excellent! It's like a hiss and a purr.

TomBombadillo

Gollum

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As someone said it before: We are all born free and unequal. :D

Yummy: there is sth positive about Gollum. Without him Frodo's quest would have failed. :)

My prrrreccccccioussssss indeed. Sounds great! And the way they pictured him, sitting there on his isle, all alone in the dark, like a pitiful and miserable duck, was just how I had imagined him to be. Great! Thumbs up for PJ! ;)

Grondy, I think Rosie has a fair point here, and I must say I tend to agree with her.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Rosie

Gollum

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's wrong to kill people. :D

grondmaster

Gollum

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, I will agree with Rosie that we are inundated by outside influences from the time we are born; however, once we hit a certain age we start making decisions based on our upbringing and have the ability to choose right or wrong from that time on. Assuming that we aren't abnormally anti-social.
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Gollum

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm just going to speak up for the abnormally antisocial here. Okay, I'm done. And Jesi's right, or wrong, depending on your perspective :D
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

grondmaster

Gollum

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Jesi withdrew her comment and I deleted her blank post.

I think it is wrong to kill anything, with the exceptions of for food, housing, and in defence of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. However, in the latter cases one would hope that diplomacy is tried, using the tenets of the Golden Rule before it comes to actual blows. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

chikakat

Gollum

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was never really a fan of Gollum...even at the end, I didn't like him too much. It always seemed to me that if Gollum was truly good, he'd have been able to recover after the Ring was taken from him...he wouldn't have still been a slave to it. (Much the way Bilbo was able to live on happily without the Ring.)

Rosie

Gollum

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

but Gollum had it for much, much longer than Bilbo. 500 years or something, wasn't it?

PlasticSquirrel

Gollum

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Exactly Rosie. And I dunno about it being wrong to kill people, depends on which people.... ;)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “Characters”