Cannibal Orcs?

grondmaster

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Tolkien was just using this symbolism to show that the Orcs were evil. I doubt if they actually ate their dead except in time of great famine. However, as I have no textual basis for this, it is just my humble opinion.
'Share and enjoy'

Beleg_Strongbow

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Why then, in the Two Towers movie, do they have the orcs eat eachother? I don't think they were in a famine, they just didn't have any meat. Did the movie wrongly portray the orcs?

Findekano

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It was problably just a book mis-interpretation. But who knows, if the Orc's got REALLY hungry, they could turn to Cannibalism.

Aulë

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sure.....but who doesn´t like some tasty BBQ orc ribs:P:
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Beleg_Strongbow

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Pardon the expression, but

(achem)

GIVE ME A BUCKET!!!!

Anyway...Could licking a sword be something they just did when they thought they were alone? And would an orc eat their own blood/flesh/bodily fluids? :question:

Aulë

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don´t think it would.....it would want to survive.....but ok...they might want to take a taste of their own flesh....

Beleg_Strongbow

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Since asking the Cannibal orc question, I have acquired a couple books on tolkien's world (don't you just love barnes and noble?)

In Guide to Tolkien's World: a bestiary (David Day, copyrighted '79) it says of orcs:

They were cannibals, ruthless and terrible, and often their rending claws and slavering fangs were gored with the bitter flesh and the foul black blood of their own kind.

And in the Tolkien Companion (J.E.A. Tyler, copyrighted '86) it says:

the creatures [Morgoth] made were evil, filled with his dark will, cannibalistic and cruel, and they abhorred the light of the Sun from their Beginnings...

How does this fit in with the fight over Merry and Pippin? Was Tolkien indecisive, or was it wrong for someone besides an orc to kill orcs to give it to other orcs?

grondmaster

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, but were David Day and J.E.A. Tyler putting words in Tolkien's mouth? I don't know the the answer to this; what did Tolkien himself actually write on the subject?
'Share and enjoy'

Aulë

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But still it wasn´t Tolkien who said this....it was J.E.A. Tyler and David Day.....so it might be incorrect!

Beleg_Strongbow

Cannibal Orcs?

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

They may be wrong...but would the postAuthorIDs put information in a reference book like these if Tolkien didn't mention something?? I know Tolkien wasn't really clear on somethings...oh, I don't know...

Return to “Characters”