why is it alot of people don't think frodo is doing a good job bearing the ring?

Elfstone

why is it alot of people don't think frodo is doing a good job bearing the ring?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi there #1! :wavehello:

Well I don’t know who is dissing Frodo, but I’m certainly not one of those people, as in the books he is one of my favorite characters. I think Frodo had tremendous strength, and a very strong spirit. No one else could have carried the burden so long, and he tried the best he could to complete his task.

I’m assuming that being only 12, that you most likely have not read The Silmarillion, but really Frodo is kind of a Third Age instrument of Eru (the one God, also known as Illuvatar), and take my word for it, that says a lot about his character. Frodo was part of Eru’s divine plan in the ultimate scheme of Ea (the World, the material universe).

The “weakening” if you will, on Frodo’s part was necessary for Tolkien not only to show the incredible corrupting power of The One, but also for Tolkien to illustrate the human condition. Had Frodo been some sort of a “super Hobbit” impervious to the will of The One, the story would have never worked. We need to see his faults, his struggles, and his weakness at times, because that’s how we as humans relate. We all have our own faults, struggles, weaknesses, and choices in our lives that each of us must face, and that’s something Tolkien so brilliantly conveys in his writings, and is a large part of why his stories have been so successful, and have touched so many people.

Having been around this site for a while (and on other’s where people aren’t as nice as they are here, and say all sorts of nasty things about a lot of my favorite character’s), I think you will find that probably the reason that people dis Frodo, is because they think he whines too much. Kind of like how a lot of people I know can’t stand Luke Skywalker in EP4 “A New Hope”, and in EP5 “The Empire Strikes Back” because he comes off as such a whiner. However, I tell those people all the time that in Luke’s case, it was necessary to show his transformation from a snotty nosed kid who really didn’t know anything, into the ultimate Jedi Master he becomes. The same is somewhat true for Frodo (in terms of transformation), just in a different fashion, and under different circumstances.

Don’t let it get to you too much if people bag on Frodo, just realize that it’s only their opinion, and they’re entitled to feel that way if they want. After all Frodo is a Ring-Bearer, and in Tolkien’s world, that’s one of the highest honors one can receive. In addition, Frodo was one of the few non-Elves who ever got to go to the Undying Lands, and there aren’t many people who can say that.
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There's not a lot that anyone can add to that response Elfie.

I think the only thing you didn't really hit upon was the difference between Book Frodo and Screen Frodo. I'm not meaning any disrespect to Elijah Woods, because for me he really brought Frodo alive, but Book and Film Frodo do seem different to me. I think in the book Tolkien had plenty of time to develop Frodo's struggle with the ring. He was also able to describe Frodo's inner feelings.

Peter Jackson has two difficulties to overcome here. He only has a few hours to portray these same struggles, and unable to show on screen Frodo's inner feelings, he has had to rely on Elijah's performance and range of pained expressions to demonstrate to the audience what is going on. Without taking anything from either PJ or EW, these two problems have tended to make it seem as though Frodo is surrendering himself to the ring far too quickly, and at times he is coming across as a bit of a wuss.

When people critisize Frodo, therefore, I think it is the film Frodo rather than the Book Frodo they are having a go at.

And don't forget that many of them are just jumping on the "slag off Frodo" bandwagon because it is fashionable to do so. :cowsleep: :cowsleep: :cowsleep: (these smilies, by the way are the nearest I can find to sheep - my response to anyone who slags off anyone else just because it's trendy to do so. I totally exclude Plastic from this catagory as he's the original instigator rarther than a follower of fashion ;) )

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Elfstone and Valedhelgwath have got it right #1ElijahLover, it is the movie Frodo that is wussish, only due to the time restraint of developing a character's inner feelings and strengths on film.

In the book Frodo is strong and remains so until he gets to Mordor when due to the nearness of Sauron, The Ring becomes more powerful and overbears Frodo's innate incorruptibility and grinds him down. Even then he isn't a wuss, just a poor hobbit that has had a great burdensome task laid upon him, that he can only complete with the help of his friend and his mirror image, that being Sméagol/Gollum.

That some people also don't like Sam is just their being contrary and/or their following the pack of naysayers. Try to ignore them, or at least don't take them seriously, and never let them get to you. You have a right to your views and beliefs as do they, and we can remain a happy family if no one is put down for their views and beliefs. :happyelf:

'Share and enjoy'

Ross

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Peter Jackson has two difficulties to overcome here. He only has a few hours to portray these same struggles, and unable to show on screen Frodo's inner feelings, he has had to rely on Elijah's performance and range of pained expressions to demonstrate to the audience what is going on. Without taking anything from either PJ or EW, these two problems have tended to make it seem as though Frodo is surrendering himself to the ring far too quickly, and at times he is coming across as a bit of a wuss.
Plus the fact that Peter Jackson has never read the book! I like Frodo from the Book, I just can't stand him or any other character from the films, due to the fact that they're nothing like the characters in the book!
Sod off I'm busy!

#1ElijahLover

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i adore the frodo from the book and forever will, for he was first and he was just differant from the movie. but i cannot deny,ethier,that i do not have a little soft spot for the movie frodo.but as you all have said and are right, the book is forever better.[even though the movies are kool]

sincerely:#1ElijahLover

(o! and ElfStone i have read the begining of Sil, in 5th grade, but stopped beacause i found it a bit difficult. ;) )

valedhelgwath

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i have read the begining of Sil, in 5th grade, but stopped beacause i found it a bit difficult
It is not an easy book to read at any age, #1EL, particularly when you are so young. However, try not to be put off by your first impression of it. As you become older, and your patience and literary skills improve, try it again. It is a wonderful book, and for anyone interested in the history of Middle Earth beyond LotR, it really is a must.

We ran a Silmarillion Reading Discussion group here on the forum, which I hope has since become a useful guide for anyone reading the Silmarillion for the first time. I wouldn't normally suggest it, but try reading certain chapters rather than the whole book. I'd suggest Chapter 19 Of Beren and Luthien and Chapter 21 Of Turin Turambar. These two are almost stand alone sections that are wonderful stories in their own right.

Elfstone

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes I agree with Val #1EL, it’s probably best to wait till you get a little bit older before you have another go at reading the Sil. However, when and if you’re ready, you’ve got a serious treasure waiting for you to be harvested.

Anyway, as Val and Grondy (and others) have rightly pointed out, it’s really the movie version of Frodo that other people have issues with. I purposely tried to steer clear from mentioning the movie Frodo, because obviously you’re a huge E.W. fan, and I didn’t want to throw water on your fire in anyway. Personally I’m not that big on E.W. (maybe if I was your age, and female that might be different, but I’m a 32-year-old male, so it’s Liv, and Miranda that I have a tendency to swoon over), but I have nothing against him, and I do think he’s doing an admirable job portraying Frodo. He doesn’t write the lines, so it’s not really his fault that P.J. and Co. are making him appear vastly different than the book Frodo at times.

Also, as Grondy said, just ignore the naysayers. There is always going to be people out there that will bash on something just because (even though when you call them on it, 95% of the time, they can’t ever articulate an intelligent response), especially in this case, because there are so many young girls out there like yourself that are into E.W., and O.B. Try not to let it bother you.
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

MelliotSandybanks

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Elfstone, every time I read one of your post, I realize what a wonderful, intelligent, articulate, and considerate person you are and I am so glad that your are a part of our Tolkien community. Thank you.

valedhelgwath

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I purposely tried to steer clear from mentioning the movie Frodo, because obviously you’re a huge E.W. fan, and I didn’t want to throw water on your fire in anyway.
Nor did I for that matter #1EL. To me Elijah was the perfect person to play that role. Like I said, he brought Frodo alive for me. He was just as I had always imagined Frodo to look. My only problem was with the length of the film. It would take hours to properly develop the Ring's hold over Frodo; something they did not have. Unfortunately, like I pointed out above, this is one of the drawbacks films face compared to the books they are taken from.

Elfstone

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Elfstone, every time I read one of your post, I realize what a wonderful, intelligent, articulate, and considerate person you are and I am so glad that your are a part of our Tolkien community. Thank you.

How very kind of you to say Mellie, thank you, I really appreciate that (btw, I really enjoyed reading your journal entry “Life’s Lessons” today)! I think most of the credit probably deserves to go to my Mom, who is truly a wonderful, and kind person, and also to my Grandparents who really had a big hand in my upbringing, although I do have to take a little credit for me being me.
:P:

Thanks again though, your kind words today really helped to pick me up. I’m afraid that right now, I’m temporarily down on my luck a bit. I sometimes wish other people could see the kind of person I really am, but unfortunately I get falsely judged on my appearance all the time. I’ve been trying to find a part-time job to supplement my income the past couple of weeks, and I keep getting the door slammed in my face because of the way I look. I’m afraid that in “real life” I kinda look like Beren, or Aragorn when they’ve been wandering in the wild for too long (I’ve got long hair, and a beard), and nobody will give me a chance. I’m also pretty stubborn sometimes, and since I’m really just looking for a part time temporary gig for the next 3 to 6 months, I’m not willing to alter my appearance in any drastic fashion, or jump through hoops for anyone.

It’s really kind of funny to tell you the truth, and outside of the fact that I really need the extra cash right now, it doesn’t bother me personally at all. I completely understand things from their point of view, and I respect that, but like the saying goes, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.”
:elf:

Return to “Characters”