The Ents

The Ents

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Intresting.Not disapointing to me,I still think the Ents are more of Tolkien's invention then Shakespeares. :D
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

The Ents

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Tolkien still made them talk and gave them a language, places to live, life and soul, and Entwives. Even if he didn't invent walking trees, to me he still invented the Ents.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

The Ents

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Tolkien introduced Ents in TT, but already in FOTR he introduced hostile trees from the Old Forest (Old Man Willow & Company). When I first read about them, I had a very strong "deja vu" sensation. And then I realised that hostile moving trees were also in "Ther Wizard of Oz!".

The Ents

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Trees are living creatures and although they can't walk or talk, we can imagine them doing so. I don't think Tolkien "invented" Ents, they were already there, he just named them :)
Reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream preceeds that goal.

The Ents

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think some of the old Anglo-Saxon and Nordic stories that Tolkien used to translate also contained walking trees. I think Ents, specifically, were a type of giant in the Beowulf sagas.

The Ents

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The revelation that Shakespeare’s MacBeth influenced Tolkien’s Ents does not disappoint me in anyway. Personally, I always find it very interesting to learn more about the things that inspired Tolkien, and helped influence his creation of Middle Earth, or I should say Ea in general.

Even though the idea of walking trees so to speak was not originally his, I still feel like Tolkien’s creation of the Ents is still most definitely his own invention. Tolkien took that idea to a whole new level. To me, what Tolkien’s Ents stand for, who they are, and what they represent is radically different from the idea that was at work in MacBeth.

"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

The Ents

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well all that is true, and Tollkien's work, I'm sure , is not just a partof imagination. However, I would prefer to keep in my little brain tht he invented the Ents... ;) Although I love Shakespeare too, but just a lot lot lot less, that's all... :P:

The Ents

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Shakespeare's walking trees weren't Ents, they were mobile trees. Ents aren't trees, they are treeherds. So IMHO Tolkien invented Ents. :happyelf:

Of course I suppose someone can probably go back to Grecian Drama or the Sanskrit Tablets and find something that is comparable to an Ent, but until such time as they do, I'll watch. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

lord of llamas

The Ents

Post#9 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:58 pm

Shakesphere wishedd he could make live trees as good as da ents!! Tolkien had a spectacular vision 4 da ents. And oz has nothing 2 do wik LOTR cause da trees weren't mobile.

The Ents

Post#10 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:44 pm

Shakesphere wishedd he could make live trees as good as da ents!! Tolkien had a spectacular vision 4 da ents. And oz has nothing 2 do wik LOTR cause da trees weren't mobile.

Shakesphere. LOL. I like that name. I don't think he was that fat at all. Shakesphere!

Anyways, getting back to te point. Whether Tolkien invented the Ents or not they are the most intelligent beings that have ever been created in any story. But yes...I'm still confused as to the birth of Ents. It is not explained very nicely in either of LOTR or the Silmarillion! Does anyone here know?
I am nobody.....and nobody is perfect.......therefore I am perfect.

Return to “Characters”