The Ainur

bramble

The Ainur

Post#1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:03 pm

Is there actually a physical description of the Ainur in the Silmarillion (or anywhere else)?
I'm specifically after information about what Varda may have looked like, but I'd also be grateful for info on any of the Valar (particularly the Queens).

valedhelgwath

The Ainur

Post#2 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:01 am

Hi Bramble. Welcome to Planet Tolkien.

I'm not sure whether there are any specific descriptions about the appearances of Varda in the Silmarillion, beyond she was supposed to be the most beautiful of the Valar. There is a section in Morgoth's Ring, however, taken from an early version of the Ainulindale in which the descriptions of certain Valar are more forthcoming. It is a long section so I will only write the relevant pieces.

From Morgoth's Ring
Varda was the Queen of the Valar, and the spouse of Manwe and her beauty was high and terrible and of great reverence......

In the land of the Valar i have seen Yavanna in the likeness of a Tree; and the beauty and majesty of that form could not be told in words, not unless all the things that grow in earth, from the least unto the greatest, should sing in choir together, making unto their queen an offering of song to be laid before the throne of Iluvatar

Sorry ,it's not a lot to go on. There are snippets like the above scattered throughout the books. I am experiencing a few logout problems at the moment though, so I don't have the time to track many of them down. I'll try to add a few once the problems get sorted out.

Aulë

The Ainur

Post#3 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:58 am

I think that Manwë is described as having emerald eyes or something....Ulmo we have a full description of in the meeting of him and Tuor......Aulë in my mind is kind of like the smith in The Belgariad...ermm....something with D....anyway....you know very muscular as a black smith and with some leather clothing....and golden hair....and a very childish but old face....Aulë is the Vala I like the best....might be noticed:P:

Can´t help you with anything else....sorry
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

bramble

The Ainur

Post#4 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:14 am

Thank you both so much for the info, and for the welcome :happyelf:.
I don't have access to all of Tolkien's works (usual story...money's tight and all Tolkien books at the library have about 70 reserves on them). I can't find my notes right now, but I think I was able to find out that Yavanna was always dressed in green with golden dewdrops on her clothing. Also that Nienna wore a grey mantle. There was a little more, but the heat today has addled my brain.
I'll keep searching (for my notes as well as more information) :searching: and check back often.
Thanks again!

Vampyr

The Ainur

Post#5 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:16 am

Bramble, a friend of mine has LotR and Hobbit books on his computers as windows .doc file. If you give me your e-mail adress, i think i can get in touch with him and send the books to your e-mail. What do you think?

bramble

The Ainur

Post#6 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:28 pm

Thank so much, but I have LOTR, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales and a couple of guides to Tolkien. I'm still waiting on The Silmarillion from the library, and will try to reserve each volume of Lost Tales. I can't believe how much stuff is actually in our library, or that it's all constantly on loan! :elfroleeyes:

grondmaster

The Ainur

Post#7 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:11 pm

Bramble, a friend of mine has LotR and Hobbit books on his computers as windows .doc file. If you give me your e-mail adress, i think i can get in touch with him and send the books to your e-mail. What do you think?
I think that is quite illegal as well as immoral. :moderator:
'Share and enjoy'

celeborn

The Ainur

Post#8 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:26 pm

A description of the Ainur as they really are is provided by Tolkien on Page Seven of the Silmarillion.

celeborn

The Ainur

Post#9 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:36 pm

Shelob and Ancalagon the Black were Dilar, Smaug was a Norna, Eonwe and Thorondor are Dilar.

celeborn

The Ainur

Post#10 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Huan and Carcharoth were Dilar.

Return to “Characters”