Wots up with Orcs

Allyssa

Wots up with Orcs

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I guess being locked in the deepest dungeons of Angband is enough to make anyone cranky....
"May the Angels Guide"

Rosie

Wots up with Orcs

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i kinda wondered if they were immortal too. i don't think they are... or might be but the life expectancy shortened due to orcs butchering themselves to death. :D :D

Boring

Wots up with Orcs

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

we've had this discussion on a older and deleted board once...

The Orcs were originally Elves mutelated by Morgoth in mockery of elves and therefor they are immortal (till they are killed atleast) In LotR there's a confersation which hints that they can live very long (the part when sam is following the orcs whom captured frodo)

So Orcs would now be a different breed because it will be generations past when the first orcs were spawned and there offspring keeps being orcs and aren't born as elves

Ungoliant

Wots up with Orcs

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I read somewhere that Orcs are immortal too. In Silm I think. Gotta go check.

But then logically they should be, since they were bred from Elves. I've always thought of that as rather tragic. And trolls were created in mockery of Ents I believe, so they were what - corrupted Huorns? What else...Balrogs were demons of fire, corrupted spirits all of them! I feel slightly miffed that Morgoth chose not to create anything in mockery of Men though. Nazghul don't count, since they were Sauron's creation.

Eldar

Wots up with Orcs

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Margoth may have made a mockery of men, like you know the battle at Helms Deep there were bushmen and others fighting along side of the orcs, MAYBE ( a big maybe ) the were descendents of human slaves or corrupted men of Margoth's time, I dunno Im trusting you guys to set me straight!!!!! ;)
and ummmm how do Orcs breed??? :D
cause I aint heard of any female orcs yet!!!!

Allyssa

Wots up with Orcs

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Orc breeding - see the discussion on elven procreation in The Prancing Pony. I think orc females are probably indistinguishable from males to the layman's eye.

I dont think the bushmen were decendents of slaves. Maybe just one of the other races of Men that fell under the shadow of Morgoth.
"May the Angels Guide"

TomBombadillo

Wots up with Orcs

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bushmen? What bushmen?
I always believed Orcs came originally from Elves, but they were turned bad in some dark place long ago. And they are immortal untill they are killed, indeed, and they are afraid of the light, unless you're dealing with Uruk-hai which are breeded from Orcs and what again? :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

grondmaster

Wots up with Orcs

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Tolkien called them 'the wild men of the Dunland fells' rather than bushmen, I think. And they were under Saruman's shadow, rather than Sauron's when they, with the orcs, attacked Helm's Deep. I doubt if the Dunlanders were corrupted my Morgoth, as that surely would have died out in the intervening centuries. In fact, I doubt if they were inherently evil, probably just needed a good king to nurture them. Of course I'm an Liberal Democrat, so I'm probably wrong. :)
[Edited on 11/2/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

Ungoliant

Wots up with Orcs

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bushmen? What bushmen?

Shoot grondie, and I thought you guys were talking about Texas Republicans...;)

grondmaster

Wots up with Orcs

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Shoot grondie, and I thought you guys were talking about Texas Republicans...;)
Texan Molly Ivins is one of my favorite Liberal columnists because she knows how to call a bush a shrub. :D

I know, I know, the topic is susposed to be orcs. Well politics Texas style is a lot like orc in-fighting. ;)
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”