Goldberry

Jehanne

Goldberry

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey, Eldar, welcome! :)

Nope, she's not an elf. She (like Tom) might be one of the Maiar, but that's not really clear. She seems to be some sort of water-spirit, like her mother (since she's called the "River-daughter"). I always pictured her like a classical water nymph, like Daphne only without the whole tree thing. Goldberry's origins are pretty mysterious though (not unlike Tom's really. Fun couple).

Eldar

Goldberry

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

so where can I find out about some of Gold Berry's History and is the Maiar the chidren of the Valar??? sorry guys Im new to Tolkeins world!!!!!!!

But youve got to learn somewhere!!!

Allyssa

Goldberry

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello again Eldar. We met in the chat room remember?

The Maiar are "lesser spirits", but not physically children of the Valar. It is popularly believed that Gandalf and the Istari were lesser Maiar. Kinda explains a lot doesn't it? The Maiar were able to take a physical form or body if they wished. Melian the queen of Doriath was another Maiar who inhabbited Middle Earth.
"May the Angels Guide"

Ungoliant

Goldberry

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Some also believe that Tom & Goldberry were Valar. i.e. Tom = Aule, Goldberry = Yavanna.

Eldar

Goldberry

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Does Goldberry appear anywhere else in Tolkiens books???

grondmaster

Goldberry

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum Eldar.

Yes, Goldberry appears in Tolkiens poem, 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil' which can be found in 'The Tolkien Reader' which is now out of print. I have a ninth printing: May 1970 of Ballantine Books, Inc. paperback, for which I paid 95 cents US when it was new. Its pages are now quite yellowed, but holding to their binding.

I posted a snippet of this poem on 5/2/2002 at 03:50 under 'General Discussion' and 'Trivia: Barad-dur'.
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Goldberry

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Some also believe that Tom & Goldberry were Valar. i.e. Tom = Aule, Goldberry = Yavanna.

That's an interesting idea! I never pictured the father of the dwarves as a singing woodsman with yellow boots and a really bad hat... He seems altogether too cheerful to be a smith.
Goldberry as Yavanna? Maybe. She does seem to have a certain "power" or "aura" about her. I could never understand what she saw in Tom though.
"May the Angels Guide"

Ungoliant

Goldberry

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I remember reading a convincing argument about it a few years ago, although the ones about them being Maias are more convincing I guess. The argument (TB & G = Valar) was more tongue-in-cheek, but it made some good points. :)

It had something to do with Tom being totally unaffected by the One Ring - all other Maias feared to use it. And since Sauron was a Maia himself, it followed that only a Vala would be strong enough to resist the power of the ring.

Also something about Yavanna being dressed in green all the time - like Goldberry. The essay also contemplated on the possibility that Tom & Goldberry (Aule & Yavanna) lived incognito on ME in order to keep an eye on Aule's children, Yavanna's trees & stuff - since Sauron had returned. Something like that.

Btw the 'Adventures of Tom Bombadil' is out of print, but someone told me that you can read it in the 'Tolkien Reader'. Can anyone confirm this?

Ungoliant

Goldberry

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As for Tom's appeal - well, he cooks, cleans, gives her flowers and is totally under her thumb (remember when he told the hobbits that he had to rush back cos 'Goldberry is waiting'?). And he seemed faithful enough....men like that are tough to find. :)

PlasticSquirrel

Goldberry

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the Valar argument was one of mine once. I was being fairly antagonistic, it is now pretty much generally accepted that they were both Maia, though the ring thing is still a puzzler...
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “Characters”