Faramir

Allyssa

Faramir

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

About happy endings. Fairly common to most genre fiction, especially romance (whats a romance without a "happily ever after"?).

But not everyone in the LOTRs got to live happily ever after. Look at Frodo, and his wounding. Look at the tragedy of Elrond and Arwen.

Eucatastrophe is used in almost all fantasy that I have read. It does give one that kind of rewarding feeling.

Faye: who is the "real" villain?
"May the Angels Guide"

Ungoliant

Faramir

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grondmaster moved Ungoliants posting to 'Turin son of Hurin'

[Edited on 7/3/2002 by Grondmaster]

Eryan

Faramir

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

About happy endings...
Did you remark that a large part of love stories does NOT have a happy ending?
Some examples: "Casablanca" - Rick lets Ilsa to go with her husband; "Out of Africa" - Karen has to go back to Denmark, Denys remains in Africa and then gets killed in a plane accident; "Love story": the heroin dies from leucaemia; "Gone with the wind": Scarlett cannot win the love of Ashley and learns to love Rhett when it's already too late... So finally it seems that we like sad endings as well, not only happy ones!
A relatively new "invention" is a fusion of sad & happy ending - you can then have "two in one" like in "Wash and Go" shampooes. !)
Examples: the ending of the movies "Braveheart" and "Gladiator". In both cases the hero dies, but then his soul (spirit) goes straight to his beloved wife (already dead). Strangely enough, the overall artistic effect is not bad at all! (Sorry Swampfaye for having used again the word "artistic" but sometimes it's difficult to avoid it[Edited on 8/3/2002 by Eryan]

swampfaye

Faramir

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm starting a post on PP* about "happy endings"

* PP = The Prancing Pony Tavern
[Edited on 9/3/2002 by Grondmaster]

TomBombadillo

Faramir

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I still don't really get to liking Faramir. I re-read LOTR now, and he didn't really strike me as... well, a real character. He's nice, friendly, and whatever you like, but he hasn't got that depth other characters have... Well, at least that's what I think... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Eryan

Faramir

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

For me it has all depth necessary to feel that he is very real. A real leader of men, able to induce in them trust and love... and yet someone who has constantly to fight with external dangers and his own weakness. And there is a touch of sadness about him, one really wants to do something for him!
I really hope that he had a happy life aftter the war of the ring!

TomBombadillo

Faramir

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I didn't feel him like that at all... Anyone with me here? :duck

TomBombadillo

Faramir

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm reading Val's story now, and it's great so far!

Hey, question for y'all: why is everyone a stranger? You have all kept your number of posts, but you're all strangers, even Plastic and Golly! Huh? :smoke:

Eryan

Faramir

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Just to tell you that there are two bits of fan fiction telling about Faramir in the Fan Fiction section: a brilliant bit by Valedhelgwath telling about the Fall of Osgiliath (and Valedhelgwath announces more to come!!!!!!), and a song by mine...

grondmaster

Faramir

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That will be fixed with the passing if time. I see you, Tommy, are still a Posting Freak. :hahaha:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”