Elladan and Elrohir

Allyssa

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I put this thread in since there was so much discussion on the obscure character of Fatty Bolger that I thought we could do with some more obscure characters. We are rapidly running out of major ones anyhow. :D
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There are so many major characters yet which are not discussed at all!
(1) Turin Turambar - when we see how many versions of his story have been written
by Tolkien, we must realise how important he was for him... Why?
(2) Beren - a person with which Tolkien identified himself
(3) Luthien - both beautiful and strong & brave, the portrait of his wife

As for Elladan & Elrohir, it's true that they ARE fascinating - one know to learn more
about them. What I like about them is that they do not try to win personal renown
& power by becoming mighty chieftains, but simply "do their duty" in the Company
of Rangers of the Nord. They are ready to give all (their life included) in a fight for
a good cause - and to take nothing in return.

Allyssa

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Quite true Eryan. I am glad to have found at least one like minded person.

Do you think their reticence could be to do with the mysterious choice or "acceptance of death"? Or do you think the are just shy? Self-consious maybe? they must get a lot of stares and odd looks...
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Allyssa,
I always admired your posts. I kept visiting this forum as a guest during quite
a long time before deciding to participate in it... and I was often very deeply moved by
your posts.
Perhaps we are both like minded because we are both elf-friends? I have read in another
thread that you would like to be an elf... and I am of the same mind. And you can imagine
how I was glad when I made my "personality test" and... I was Legolas! What a surprise
I was convinced that I will turn out to be Boromir!
But that's off topic. Returning to Elladan and Elrohir, they seem to be shy... and marked
by sorrow (their mother suffered so much from Orcs that she left them and is gone West).
But I do not remember what happens to them finally? Do they remain in ME or depart with
their father, or perhaps later?

Allyssa

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thank you Eryan. I am sincerely flattered.

As for the end of Elladan and Elrohir, according to letter 153:

"...they delay their choice, and remain for a while."

I take that to mean that they stayed in Rivendel for a while, but eventually decided to follow their father and mother. Presumably they went with Celeborn. Perhaps he even swayed their decision?

I read somewhere that someone had read a reference otherwise, but they didn't have anything to back that up, so I wouldn't take it as canon. Tolkien's letter is the only source I've ever been able to find on the matter. If anyone can find anything else, I would be most interested. :)
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If they are gone with Celeborn, this implies that they did not wait for Arwen to die...
But I hope that they spent still some time with Aragorn and Arwen before their final
depart. They seemed to be really attached to Aragorn. And it's nice to imagine them
as kind uncles of small Eldarion!... they could teach him so much!... :)

Allyssa

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't know how often they travelled to Minas Tirith. There is nothing to suggest that they even left Rivendel. Maybe part of the "rules" for delaying one's choice is that one is not allowed to associate with people who have made their choice? I don't know.

Still it is a very nice thought. Arwen would be missing her family dreadfully.
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I also figure when King Elessar came north on his rounds to visit his northern subjects, Queen Arwen came with him. Her brothers joined the King on those rounds and part of that time was also spent in Rivendale.
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Another remark about Elladan and Elrohir: they always seemed to me delicate and shy and rather introvertic; and yet they were ruthless Orc-killers. This makes them a bit "warrior bards", a bit like the Minstrel Boy...

Allyssa

Elladan and Elrohir

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan, who is Minstrel Boy? Is he a character from a novel? I don't know that one.

Elladan and Elrohir were ruthless orc-killers because of their mother. Cant say I blame them.

I think they were rather like Beren, who loved all the animals and was vegetarian, but who hated orcs with a passion. It seems to be a common condition in ME. :D I think this strange polarity in their character makes them all the more fascinating.

Tolkien used similar ideas in many of his characters. Look also at Eowyn the girl-woman warrior, Aragorn the vagrant yet kingly ranger, Gandalf the kindly grandfatherly Maia Spirit and especially Frodo, the meek, bookish hero!

Does anyone else make this observation? or disagree? It is an idea that I will deginately file away for future reference. :)
"May the Angels Guide"

Return to “Characters”