Beren

Eryan

Beren

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Allyssa!!!!
A comment, and such a quick one - it's great to be online at the same time!
I think that Eldar (not only Eldar maidens) were fascinated by Edains because they were
so very short lived and yet so willing to give their life in a fight for a good cause.
Imagine now that you meet a wonderful man... a Faramir and Beren and Imrahil in one
person... and you know that you can live with him only during a single summer. Two
months - and that's all!!!! If we are conscious that our time is brief, we live every moment
so much more intensely... and our hearts go pitter-patter...
Do you rememeber Ruttger Hauer as a short-lived warrior android in Ridley Scott
movie "Blade Runner"? I was deeply moved by the scene of his death... when all
his memories must "disappear like tears in the rain"...

PlasticSquirrel

Beren

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's a great analogy Eryan! And a great movie, and the best bit of a great movie as well. I love that bit.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Eryan

Beren

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"YOU TOO?!!!" (A yell of delight)
Yes I also think that this is one of the best movie bits I have seen in my whole life!
Some weeks ago I have seen quite an extraordinary TV program on "Planet"
channel in TV. It was on Tolkien and it contained, among others, a fragment of
a TV interview with him. And Tolkien made an astonishing remark. I cannot quote
it word by word (I can check though because I recorded that program on a video
tape...) but it was something like this: "All human stories are about Death and its
implacability. We my try to accept it but it is always an ultimate violence. You
may like it or not, but this is the main theme of the Lord lof the Rings".
At first I just gasped and then I thought, well, yes, he i's absolutely right. All the
best human stories are about Death. They are poignant... and we need them! (see
the huge commercial success of another Ridley Scott's film, "The Gladiiator").
If we are conscious that we are mortal... it makes us really appreciate every moment of
our brief brief time, and " use well the days" (a parting wish of Galadriel to Aragorn in
ROTK).
And... I'm "using my Saturday" to sit before a computer while the Sun is bright and the
sky soooo blue!!!

PlasticSquirrel

Beren

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sky blue here too (only just saw Gladiator last week and got blown away, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ridley Scott is a f***ing genius) so I'm going to go out with Rambo, head to the offy for some beverages, then rent a couple of movies and spend the rest of the day more usefully.

Eryan

Beren

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree Ridley Scott decidedly IS what you have said!
And now I will disconnect as well!!!!
Have a nice wekend :)

grondmaster

Beren

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And the Toy Maker in 'Blade Runner' is another example of this: he is also prematurely aging, and he continues creating his friends, that they might live on after he passes.
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Beren

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Returning to Beren... Yes I also felt that way, Allyssa, that it is really a cruel thing that
Beren and Finrod had to be separated for eternity. I even feel that it could be easier to
accept the ultimate death of a friend (an irrevocable end of his existence) than the fact
that he lives somewhere - and yet we won't ever be able to "have his news"... I felt in
the same way also for Turin and Finduilas. I even started to write a short story about
Finduilas released from the Halls of Mandos and free to start a new happy life in Aman
with Gwindor (healed of his hurts and young again). But she could not forget Turin
and started to pine... And finally she was allowed to go just one time in Vingilot to the
world which is the "true home" of the Secondborn, and have just a brief converse
with him. Finrod also wished greatly to see Beren again, but he gave her his place in
Vingilot, because she was much more distressed about it...
I do not know why Tolkien thought it necessary to sunder in such a cruel way humans
and elves... Well being a Roman Catholic among people mostly of other faith (many of them
very dear to him!!!) must have been a heart-rendering experience!
Anyway, I read in some other thread that in the History of Middle Earth there is more
information about the ultimate fates of Men and Elves after the Battle of Battles (Dagor
Dagorach). In particular I rejoiced to learn that Turin will reappear again. Can anyone
tell here more about the ultimate fate of Tolkien's world?

PlasticSquirrel

Beren

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

you're living in it's ultimate fate now.

grondmaster

Beren

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:D
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Beren

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:D :D :D
:o
:)