Turin son of Hurin

grondmaster

Turin son of Hurin

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan: I have only read the Silmarillion twice and that was long ago. I no longer know his story well enough to join in a discussion about him.

One of these months I will take it into my head to reread the book and then I may feel confident enough to write about the care, feeding, general mollycoddling, and sex life of the great tragic figure of Turin Turambar alias Neithan, Gorthol, Agarwaen, Mormegil, and Wildman of the Woods. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Turin son of Hurin

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Poor Turin...
No luck indeed!

PlasticSquirrel

Turin son of Hurin

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like him, he's fallible and tries to do what's right though constantly cocks it up. I just have little else to say about him other than that. Liked him as the Mormegil best though.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Eryan

Turin son of Hurin

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like him, he's fallible and tries to do what's right though constantly cocks it up

Exactly Plastic!!!!! You really put
the essential in one phrase!!!
I like him, too, for the same reason.

Allyssa

Turin son of Hurin

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Aren't Turin's cock ups supposed to be a result of the dragon's curse?

The biggest turn off for me was the marrying his sister part. And she was pregnant! Very tragic but...ew!
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Turin son of Hurin

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I liked that bit :o And Turin started cocking up back in Doriath before he'd even met Glaurung, I think it's supposed to be the workings of Melkor from afar as vengeance on Hurin.

Eryan

Turin son of Hurin

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, it was Melkor.
Anyway, if you really want to konw more about Turin, you should read "Narn i Hin Hurin" in Unfinished Tales (together with the loose notes at its end!) and not only the shorter story in the Silmarillion. Unfortunately, the Narn i Hin Hurin is not complete, so that actually some parts of his story are to be taken from the Silm version. Anyway, I think that this story could make a really dramatic, "dark" movie, something for Ridley Scott for instance.

PlasticSquirrel

Turin son of Hurin

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Now that I'd like to see, also the Lay of the Children of Hurin in the Lays of Beleriand (HoMe vol 3) has a lot on him as well.

Eryan

Turin son of Hurin

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Tolkien usually refused to admit that he was influenced by the Nibelungen myth. Yet the story of love between Turin and Nienor IS strikingly similar to the story of Siegmund and Sieglind (the parents of Siegfried)...

Eryan

Turin son of Hurin

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, I did this post mainly to move Turin into the first page (to have the two competing threads on him side by side...).
I just thought that Turin had bad luck indeed, but finally he was sucesful at least in one important thing: he killed Glaurung and thanks to that saved so many lives!...
Really, Morgoth must have been asleep (or drunk) on that night! With a really bad luck, Turin should fail to kill Glaurung, and instead to get hurt and/or disabled for the rest of his life (for instance...).

Return to “Characters”