Elven Eating Habits

Elven Eating Habits

Post#1 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:35 pm

In another post Terrijayne wrote:
I would also enjoy visiting Rivendell and Lorien...great food, music and conversation.
The bit about great food got me to thinking: I don't remember reading about an overweight elf. Do they have a different metabolism than Mankind, or have they got better will power, or is their food so horrible that they don't wish to pig-out?

That Rivendel is frequented by hobbits, Dwarves, and Men as well as by Elves, I assume the food there is less than bland; however, I doubt that that of Lorien is much more than nourishing. But what do I know; does anyone have any ideas on this?
'Share and enjoy'

Elven Eating Habits

Post#2 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:21 pm

Bilbo,in Rivendell, said this in the Return of the King
"The fire's cosy here, and the food's very good, and there are elves when you want them".

so i would assume elves have very good food (even in Lorien) and since they are the fairest race
they must naturally stay thin. (wish i could) but you know what happens when you assume.

(Grondy merely clicked the quote icon to separate the above text.)

Elven Eating Habits

Post#3 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:43 am

Elves seem to enjoy the ability to have a greater control over their physical bodies than humans do. I assume that this includes an ability to maintain whatever weight they wish. They also seem to have better muscle tone and energy levels.(just not fair, is it?).

I have often wondered if diet and exercise were a problem for half-elves or Dunedain?
"May the Angels Guide"

Elven Eating Habits

Post#4 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:41 am

Well if most of the other Dunedein wandered around as much as Aragorn did, excerise was probably never in short supply! Same way with elves, as I fancy they often wandered around their areas just enjoying nature and conversation.

As for food, for some reason I picture the elves as being more vegetarian than meat lovers. Thats not to say they wouldn't enjoy a good steak, but it seems likely they ate only what was necessary to remain healthy. I imagine that they eat small portions of great food, and focused their feasts more on good company and music. This is probably why I'd make a better hobbit than an elf!

Elven Eating Habits

Post#5 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:37 am

This thread strangely reminds me of another, familiar thread...
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Elven Eating Habits

Post#6 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:55 am

What are you looking down here for?

Elven Eating Habits

Post#7 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:47 pm

well, considering that they dont have cars in Middle Earth, they would have to walk everywhere or ride a horse which is faster but just as physically demanding.

Elven Eating Habits

Post#8 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:25 pm

I think elves can become overweight, but their sense of dignity prevents them from pigging out. I can't imagine Glorfindel or Arwen tucking into a big plate of pork chops.

Elven Eating Habits

Post#9 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:25 am

Haldir looked a tad on the chubby side though in the films...

Elves do eat meat, though.
From the Hobbit - Flies and Spiders

There was a fire in their midst and there were torches fastened to some of the trees round about; but the most spendid sight of all: they were eating and drinking and laughing merrily. The smell of the roast meats was so enchanting that, without waiting to consult one another, every one of them got up and scrambled forwards into the ring with the one idea of begging some food.

It later mentions that when the Dwarves are imprisoned in the Elvenking's Halls, Bilbo is able to slip out by following the hunting parties. Likewise, the Silmarillion frequently mentions the sons of Feanor having a great love for hunting. I imagine they ate venison, boar, gamebirds and rabbits.

Elven Eating Habits

Post#10 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:04 pm

Or mayhaps they were merely hunting truffles, with a 12 bore? :elkgrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”