Concerning Nazgul

gargamel

Concerning Nazgul

Post#1 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:26 am

Ok heres one for everyone.
Khazul the black was a king of the easterlings and one of the nine who received the rings of men.
From what i've read he was second in power to the witch king and took command of the remaining wraiths after old iron crowns destruction.Khazul was also the rider who entered the shire and almost caught the hobbits at the ferry.(i belive he also acted as right hand wraith to sauron during his time in the mirkwood).
So question is does anyone know any information concerning the other ringwraiths and their past??

terrijayne

Concerning Nazgul

Post#2 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:35 am

Wow Gargamel...what dusty tome of Tolkien trivia did you find all of that in? Sounds interesting. I'd like to read it. Sorry but I don't have any useful information for you to answer your question. Perhaps one of our more learned PT members can add something useful to your discussion. Keep up the good reading, Gargamel.

GrevBukMcJern

Concerning Nazgul

Post#3 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:43 am

Virumor didn't post:
It's not Khazul, it's Khamul, the "Shadow of the East". Information about him and other Nazgul can be found in Unfinished Tales.

but wanted to.
What are you looking down here for?

virumor

Concerning Nazgul

Post#4 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:30 am

Some quotes from UT :

"Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamûl the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's lieutenant, with one other as his messenger. "

"According to the entry in the Tale of Years for 2951 Sauron sent three, not two, of the Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur. The two statements can be reconciled on the assumption that one of the Ringwraiths of Dol Guldur returned afterwards to Minas Morgul but I think it more likely that the formulation of the present text was superseded when the Tale of Years was compiled; and it may be noted that in a rejected version of the present passage there was only one Nazgûl in Dol Guldur (not named as Khamûl, but referred to as "the Second Chief (the Black Easterling)"), while one remained with Sauron as his chief messenger.– From notes counting in detail the movements of the Black Riders in the Shire it emerges that it was Khamûl who came to Hobbiton and spoke to Gaffer Gamgee, who followed the Hobbits along the road to Stock, and who narrowly missed them at the Bucklebury Ferry (see p.360). The Rider who accompanied him, whom he summoned by cries on the ridge above Woodhall, and with whom he visited Farmer Maggot, was "his companion from Dol Guldur." Of Khamûl it is said here that he was the most ready of all the Nazgûl after the Black Captain himself, to perceive the presence of the Ring, but also the one whose power was most confused and diminished by daylight."

Khamûl is the only Nazgûl named; apart from him and the Black Captain, there is no information about the other Nazgûl.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

valedhelgwath

Concerning Nazgul

Post#5 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:08 am

Now we just sit back and wait for someone to mention the names and histories given in the ICE Lords of Middle Earth Volume 2 booklet, in which names and histories of all nine have been created.

virumor

Concerning Nazgul

Post#6 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:41 am

Yeh, but those are all fake, as JRRT hasn't provided them.

So any of those posts should be disregarded.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

immortalking

Concerning Nazgul

Post#7 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:15 pm

The names of the nazgul are Murazor (witchking), Khamul, Dwar, Indur, Akhorahil, Hoamorath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha

valedhelgwath

Concerning Nazgul

Post#8 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:54 am

It had to happen.... Now wait for Virumor's response.

rhapsody

Concerning Nazgul

Post#9 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:22 pm

*waits patiently*

grondmaster

Concerning Nazgul

Post#10 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:39 pm

.... still waiting ...

And I suppose you got those mostly phoney names from the game Val recently specified above huh, Immortalking? :tongueelf: Only Khamul can be found in the Tolkien canon; the rest are made up. Welcome to P-T by the way. :happyelf:

Now we no longer need wait for Virumor's response. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”