Gimli

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yes, we should :D
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ungoliant

Gimli

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

*bites Plastic* ....speciest! ;)

Gimli son of Gloin is one character that I can truly identify with, although my favourites are Gollum & Bilbo. He's gruff, macho, hot-tempered, proud, stubborn, loyal, sensitive, good engineer, and, er, short. I can really relate to him. He's about the most realistic character that Tolkien ever created...he'll be able to fit in our modern life easily. The rest are either too honourable or too evil.

I liked the bit in RotK:
He (Sam) scratched his head. 'Can't understand it at your age!' he said. 'But there it is: you're three inches taller than you ought to be, or I'm a dwarf.'
'That you certainly are not,' said Gimli.

Allyssa

Gimli

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I must admit that I rather liked Gimli.

He is wise and articulate, exceptional qualities in a dwarf. He is also loveable for all those reasons Ungoliant mentioned.

I did think he would be a little more visually appealing than in the movie though. He should have a charming smile and a twinkle in his eye I think.
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Gimli

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Did you know the old movie "Krull"? It's not my favourite movie, but for me the young prince - Colvyn or whatsoever his name - could be a perfect Gimli if only he could be shorter! :)

Ungoliant

Gimli

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sorry, never saw that. Was he good looking? I actually liked what they did with Gimli in the movie...loved his growls. I've always imagined him as touchy and bad tempered...kinda like having permanent PMS.

PlasticSquirrel

Gimli

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So you think Gimli might be a little girl dwarf and not told anyone yet?

Ungoliant

Gimli

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Could be...maybe that's why he's so into Legolas you reckon? Maybe he's actually Gimlette Littlebottom, Cheery Littlebottom's long-lost cousin on his/her mom's side. ;)

Allyssa

Gimli

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Doesn't really explain his admiration for Galadriel though....or does it? Hmmmm
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Gimli

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Gimli simply IS a sappy romantic. Look at his desire to see Moria and on his delight on seeing the wonders of Kheled Zaram! He is a born Elf-friend, like Bilbo, Frodo, Sam... even if at the beginning he does not know it himself. This may explain both his friendship and good understanding with Legolas, and his love (we need not be afraid of that word - love it certainly was!) for Galadriel.
Impossible love may be true love. I once read a beautiful poem telling about an impossible love between the Indian king Asoka and a... willow tree. It was one of the most beautiful and moving love poems I ever read!

PlasticSquirrel

Gimli

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

A tree? Now that is impossible. I wouldn't mind reading that, I'd like to see how you can pull it off without becoming farcical.

Return to “Characters”