Frodo's motivation

Silme

Frodo's motivation

Post#1 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:00 pm

So, you who know me know I'm not much of a forum-izer. But I got this niggle in my brain the other day, and I can't get it out. Thought it might help to see what some other people think. Here's the thing; I'm wondering what Frodo's motivation was to take the Ring to Mordor. For the last 20+ years (gads) I've always just sorta gone with the assumption that it was benevolence. The desire to complete a task. But now I'm wondering, maybe it was just the Ring's pull. Maybe he saw carrying the Ring as a way to prolong his possession of it. This may have been on a subconscious level, of course. But still...let me know what you think.

deathmc

Frodo's motivation

Post#2 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:46 am

Like you I have also assumed it was just benevolence, or just a sudden discision. But it seems plausible to me that it could have been the Ring's pull.

A call to the more literate people:
Is there something about this in the rest of the JRRT canon?

lord_aragorn86

Frodo's motivation

Post#3 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:21 am

Seems quite possible Silme. Or maybe, since the Ring had a will of its own, it thought that if it were carried by a little hobbit to Mordor, to the land of its true master, then it will be easier for its master to take the Ring back. And at the time of the council, Frodo was stil under the influence of the Ring. It would be a lot easier to take the ring from Frodo than, say, Elrond or Boromir or someone else. And then also, the closer the Ring to Mordor, the lesser pains will be taken by its Master to find the Ring. Mordor and Frodo, a good combination for the ring and hence, so be it!

(And I thought my 1000th post would be something fun to read!)
I am nobody.....and nobody is perfect.......therefore I am perfect.

Vee

Frodo's motivation

Post#4 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 am

Maybe this was the will of Eru using the power of the Ring. Bilbo was first to offer to take the Ring and may also have been 'urged' to do so by the pull of the Ring. No one else volunteered until Frodo. It is odd that the only two who freely volunteered were those two who had already possessed the Ring for a time.

However, Frodo seems to accept the task with dread and would like nothing more than to stay in Rivendell but still he offers to take the Ring as though he knows he is the one to do it. Is that some sixth sense or was it the Ring? I don't think Tolkien explicitly writes anywhere that the Ring had any influence in this but that isn't to say it didn't. We know the Ring exerts a power and influence over those who hold it or even those who desire it so maybe that is part of how and why Frodo ended up taking the Ring.

virumor

Frodo's motivation

Post#5 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:06 pm

I think Frodo did it because it was predestined by Eru, as it seems that Frodo hears himself saying "I will take the Ring to Mordor" without really fully understanding what he was saying until after he said it.

He prolly drank too much miruvor on the feast the day before.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Elfstone

Frodo's motivation

Post#6 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:31 pm

Without going into some lengthy discussion on this (which I simply do not have time for at the moment), I definitely believe that Eru had a lot to do with it. Throughout the entire history of M.E., there were a handful of characters that I would personally classify as being instruments of Eru, and Frodo for me at least certainly falls into that category.
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Silme

Frodo's motivation

Post#7 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:39 pm

Hm, the whole Eru thing is an excellent point. I had really not considered the whole fate (dare I say "doom") thing, though in retrospect, I probably should have.

Túrin Turambar

Frodo's motivation

Post#8 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:09 pm

Eru is a definite possiblity, However, I always found the Valar, and Eru, played a bigger part in the First Age though, and kinda neglected the Third. I Like Lord Aragorn's idea with the Ring persuading Frodo, subliminally of course!

valedhelgwath

Frodo's motivation

Post#9 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:41 am

Everything is capable of making mistakes. I think the Ring, like Sauron, overlooked Hobbits and when they were aware of them, totally underestimated them.

I don't believe the Ring chose Frodo to take it to Mordor. At the Council of Elrond it was exerting its influence to cause divisions among the Free People. I think its intention there was purely to turn everyone against each other, until the most selfish (and thus most likely to use it for his own purpose) grabbed it for himself. If it had managed that, there would not have been an alliance between the Free People, but a war. I really don't think it even noticed Frodo until it was too late.

virumor

Frodo's motivation

Post#10 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:22 am

However, I always found the Valar, and Eru, played a bigger part in the First Age though, and kinda neglected the Third. I Like Lord Aragorn's idea with the Ring persuading Frodo, subliminally of course!

Had they neglected the Third Age, they wouldn't have sent the Istari to Middle-Earth.

They played a big part in Third Age, but they only interfered indirectly by sending the Istari instead of sending an army of Elfies in shining armor (Théoden would have liked that one).
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Return to “Characters”