Tom Bombadil

grondmaster

Tom Bombadil

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Elrond says Tom was old when the Elves awoke in 'The Council of Elrond', while in The Silmarillion, Chapter 2, it implies that the Ents didn't start walking Middle-earth until the Dwarves awoke, which happened after the Elves.
When the company was taking their leave from Treebeard in Isengard on their ways back to their homes in 'Many Parting', Chapter 6, Book VI, RotK, I found the following sentence:
And Celeborn said: 'I do not know, Eldest.'
He was speaking to Treebeard here; however, I think he may have just meant oldest of the Ents, but of course I could be wrong. And we know nothing about the age, if such a quantity can be attributed to the spirits from which the Ents and Tom Bombadil were originally formed.
'Share and enjoy'

uruk_slayer

Tom Bombadil

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In one of my discussion groups, one of my friends said that the translation of Arda (i'm not sure if Q or S) means "it is" and conjectured that since Goldberry said to Frodo that "He is" when he asked who Tom Bombadil was, that Tom is the spirit of Arda. Ideas anyone?

Aulë

Tom Bombadil

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So maybe Arda is Eä??? In the swedish books it describes that Eru said Eä and there it was!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Peredhil

Tom Bombadil

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Quite right Aulë. Eä means, roughly, 'that which is'. It includes Arda, the Heavens and the Void, Arda being Earth.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

valedhelgwath

Tom Bombadil

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

From Lord of the Rings section.

On 9/4/03 LadyRanger posted.
Hello

I am currently reading the FOTR. I am just wondering what is Tom Bombadil and where does he come from? Also where does Goldberry come from? She seems like a human but also an elf...if that makes any sense, lol.

Thank you!
On 9/4/03 Perwing replied.
If you look in the "characters" section you should find a thread called "Tom Bombadil", this question was discussed there and you might find the answer to your question there.
But I would just like to say this, Tolkien never says clearly what Tom is, or where he comes from...

Nessa

Tom Bombadil

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey I cant tell you how much I like to read all your opinions, very interesting. Personaly I like the vision that Tom = Arda Spirit best. But I cant realy talk over this, I am to bad in the thema of Tom and so........

But I have something new for you, I think ;-)

In another forum a fwe people discust the same thema [Tom what are you ;-)] and mostly they have the same things in her minde as you....But one user postet this:
http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html

and I dont want that you miss this.

Dont blame me OKAY I only show it to you ;-) Bey

MelliotSandybanks

Tom Bombadil

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That was a very interesting article Nessa, thank you for sharing. Tom is one of my favorite characters. I am not sure that i understand why some people don't like him, but luckily, at least here at PT most people seem to agree with me.

valedhelgwath

Tom Bombadil

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for that link Nessa. A pretty strong argument in favour of Tom being Aule, although I still prefer to think of him as a Maiar myself.

uruk_slayer

Tom Bombadil

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Great link Nessa! I also liked the thing for the Chronicles of Arda, i might want to get that to supplement everything else i've got.

Return to “Characters”