Legolas & Gimli

maydmarion

Legolas & Gimli

Post#1 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:15 am

Questions: :question:

Did Legolas & Gimli ever find Valinor (after Aragon decided to give up his life, they both got a boat to find Valinor)

Why didn't Arwen go with them? I know she gave up her mortality but surly her people would have helped her.

Who buried her if all the Elves had gone to Valinor?

Sorry, but I've so many questions. :read: I wish Tolkien had kept the story going on. :verysad:

All you guys are helping me - thanks for all answers to all the threads I've posted witth questions :searching:

Vee

Legolas & Gimli

Post#2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:56 am

Arwen's ending is quite lonely and sad...

There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.

Appendix A LotR

I feel that Tolkien was illustrating what a great sacrifice she made in staying and the cost to herself of loving Aragorn and following her heart.

I don't know how Gimli and Legolas went to Undying Lands but again in Appendix A it says:

But when King Elessar gave up his life Legolas followed at last the desire of his heard and sailed over Sea...

But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him.

Cathol-linn wrote a story about Legolas and Gimli and how they left Middle-earth. Find it here

Tell This Mortal

It is a beautiful story and a wonderful interpretation of Legolas and Gimli's leaving Middle-earth.

virumor

Legolas & Gimli

Post#3 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:29 pm

Who buried her if all the Elves had gone to Valinor?

The Dwarves put her in a glass coffin, waiting for some fair prince - whether he's a fat, green goblin or not : who knows - to wake her from her dreams.

Well, seriously : the "green grave" is a bit unrealistic to me. If she died, her corpse should've been dealt with by nature in the usual way : by crows and vultures. After that, wild dogs would've taken her bones to their holes, endlessly gnawing on it.

Good old nature does the job !
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

maydmarion

Legolas & Gimli

Post#4 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Oh Virumor how un romantic :shakehead:

valedhelgwath

Legolas & Gimli

Post#5 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:25 am

Unromantic, but most probably true. Vir just put my own thoughts into words.

Maybe first, lots of tiny woodland birds and squirrels covered her with a blanket of silver Mallorn leaves, but unless they were able to build a cairn of heavy stones, once the crows and jackels turned up, the end result would be the same. One day a princess in mourning, the next, just dinner for the scavengers.

GrevBukMcJern

Legolas & Gimli

Post#6 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:28 pm

Unromantic? Depends on culture..

In Nepal, Tibet or somewhere arond there, people bring their dead loved ones up on a mountain peak to be devoured by the birds. They even cut them up a bit to help with the process. The birds are seen as the link between heaven and earth, and in return for the flesh the birds bring the spirit of the dead to the God(s). (Disclaimer: IANAA)

Our traditions of putting our dead in a hole in the dirt is seen by many as rather disgusting and disrespectful.

The ancient Romans and Egyptians(?) was equally horrified with each other.
The Romans: "Gaah! Those uncivilized Egyptians eat their dead! How horrible! "
The Egyptians: " Gaaah! Those uncivilized Romans burn their dead, as if they were garbage! How horrible!"
What are you looking down here for?

maydmarion

Legolas & Gimli

Post#7 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:05 pm

I have just raed the story that Vee indicated. It was wonderful, I know I'm a bit soppy but I had a tear in my eye.
:sad:
This is definitely worth reading again. I'll recommend it :thumbup:

Thanks Vee

Amarië

Legolas & Gimli

Post#8 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:30 pm

I had a tear in my eye.

Only one?! :shocked: Are you made of stone or what? ;)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

idrilcuthalien

Legolas & Gimli

Post#9 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:35 pm

what book are y'all talking about? it sounds interesting? anywayz, i have a question.
What was Mordor like before Sauron came?

valedhelgwath

Legolas & Gimli

Post#10 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:18 am

In Vee's post above, there is a link to a story written by one of our members, Chathol-linn. It is well worth the read.

Mordor before Sauron. That's an interesting one. Sauron created the Dragonsteeth Mountains, so they were not there before. I think Mount Doom was already there, though, so the plains of Gorgoroth may have been volcanic ash irrespective of whether Sauron turned up or not. I'll have to have a look through HOME to find out more.

Return to “Characters”