Who is Eleasar?

philippos

Who is Eleasar?

Post#1 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:33 am

Hallo...

Though i have already seen all of the three movies (with the extended montaz) more that 10 times each i consider my self to be more that a beginer in the world of Tolkien as i just now started to read "The fellowship of the ring".

So I would like to ask who is "Eleasar". This is how Galadriel calls Aragorn when she says good bye to him (in the first of the three movies) and also this is how the great eye calls Aragorn in the last movie just before the last battle. Why Aragor weeps at that moment?

Thank...

nwhagen

Who is Eleasar?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 am

Elessar is one of Aragorn's many other names. It is his name as King. (he is not King Aragorn, he is king Elessar) I don't know, what it means, all I know is it's elvish, again, Im not sure which type of elvish (quenya or Sindarin)

anyone lese know??

hope this helps!

Loss

Who is Eleasar?

Post#3 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:57 am

well first off, Welcome to PT, enjoy your stay

by Eleasar do you mean Elessar, like my name??? well Elessar is Aragorn and that name is usually used to say Elessar the Elfstone, it is his elvish name, he used to live with the elves as a boy, but his usual name is Aragorn, whereas in Bree he known as Stider and so on, hope that helps if you need any help with anything else, just ask :orcsmilie:

Loss

Who is Eleasar?

Post#4 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:02 am

yes, the heirs of King Elendil goes straight down to Elessar/ Aragorn, so his name as king would be Elessar, the name that Galadriel herself named him, she gave him a green stone in a silver brooch when he left Lorien with the fellowship and told him ''take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil!' she gave him the name

cloveress

Who is Eleasar?

Post#5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:31 am

In fact, Elessar itself means "elfstone", which refers to the brooch given to Aragorn.

virumor

Who is Eleasar?

Post#6 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:37 am

Why Aragor weeps at that moment?

Because an Olog-hai was standing on his foot.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

philippos

Who is Eleasar?

Post#7 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:08 am

Many many thanks lads for the replies!!!

This comunity is great, in few hours i took 6-7 answers!!! Whow!!!

Philippos

grondmaster

Who is Eleasar?

Post#8 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:24 pm

I just spent a hour and a half writing and rewriting an essay about some of Elessar's other names and this damned website's input box ate both tries while I was trying to finalize them and before I hit the save post button. I'm pissed and quit for the day: I WON"T BE BACK UNTIL TOMORROW, IF THEN!!!

Sorry this happened in your thread Philippos, by the way, welcome to Planet-Tolkien.
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Who is Eleasar?

Post#9 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Aragorn (his birthname; all Ranger chieftains' names begin with the prefix Ar-, which means 'noble'), Strider (by the ppl of Bree), Wingfoot (by Éomer), Longshanks (by BIll Ferny), Thorongil (name he took up while serving Thengel & Echtelion II, meaning 'eagle of the star'), Estel (his name in Rivendell, meaning 'hope'), Elessar (the name he was fated to carry, meaning Elfstone); Telcontar was the name he gave to his House, and is Elvish for Strider. Finally there's Envinyatar (which means Renewer), a title Aragorn gave to himself.

On a sidenote, there is also Barfagorn, which is used by some to distinguish the real Aragorn from the books, from the monstrosity appearing in the movies.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Morambar

Who is Eleasar?

Post#10 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Elvish? "Ar"="noble?" You're slippin', my friend. I believe Telcontar is Quenya, is it not (unusual for a Numenorean lord, too, but he's Elendils Heir, I guess?) "Ar" of course means "king" in both Sindarin and Adûnaic (which I've likely misspelled, sorry.) "Noble" would, I think, be equivalent to "lord" for which the Sindarin and Quenya is "Tur" (as in our old friend Turambar; whether he's Master of Fate or Master of the World depends on whom you ask ;-)) I'm not even going to try to analyze the suffix, since there appear to be two possible (related) translations, and that only because Tolkien explicitly ruled out another (Robert Fosters.)

Yeah, I'm overanalyzing for no reason (other than the fact I've never liked the vague word "Elvish" since no such language exists, rather the three related tongues of the three kindreds of Quendi.) Sorry. I just couldn't resist the urge to give our beloved Vir a taste of his own medicine. ;-p

Maybe Eleasar is the son of Aaron who became King of Gondor? :tongueelf:

Return to “Characters”