MIM

Allyssa

MIM

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Mim the petty dwarf could not be acurately described as being allied with evil or good. He was on his own side, so to speak. He was looking out for himself and the handful of kin he had left. I think self-preservation and possibly petty revenge were the chief motives for his actions.

I feel the petty dwarves are a race to be pitied. They were persecuted by all, even the Sindar in the worst possible fashion. I wonder what their origins were? They don't seem to be connected with Aule's people, so what are they? and where did they come from?
"May the Angels Guide"

Courtman14

MIM

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

very true, however i think that they are of Aule's people i remember something about them comming from belgost or norgod

Allyssa

MIM

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

From Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle Earth:

[quote
In 501, after the departure of Glaurung, Mim settled in the ruined halls of Nargothrond, which had first been delved by his people. There he was slain by Hurin, who thus avenged the betrayal of his son Turin. "

I think the part in bold is where the dwarves come in. I think that some dwarves who came to Nargothrond at some time claimed to have kinship with the original miners? This would make them the kin of Mim.
"May the Angels Guide"

TomBombadillo

MIM

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Who's mim? :duck:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

grondmaster

MIM

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Still haven't read The Silmarillion yet, eh Tommy? :P:

Mim The Petty-dwarf, in whose house (Bar-en-Danwedh ) on Amon Rûdh Túrin dwelt with the outlaw band, and by whom their lair was betrayed to the Orcs; slain by Húrin in Nargothrond. :read:
'Share and enjoy'

chikakat

MIM

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Petty-dwarf as in small-minded dwarf? There was a whole race of mean little dwarves? Or does petty mean something different here? (I haven't read the Sil yet either, sorry...will do it soon :read: )

grondmaster

MIM

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The quotes below are from The Silmarillion, about one-quarter into Chapter 21, entitled 'Of Turin Turambar'.
For Mîm came of Dwarves that were banished in ancient days from the great Dwarf-cities of the east, and long before the return of Morgoth they wandered westward into Beleriand; but they became diminished in stature and in smith-craft, and they took to lives of stealth, walking with bowed shoulders and furtive steps. Before the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost came west over the mountains the Elves of Beleriand knew not what these others were, and they hunted them, and slew them; but afterwards they let them alone, and they were called Noegyth Nibin, the Petty-Dwarves, in the Sindarin tongue.
So your meaning of petty is correct.
They loved none but themselves, and if they feared and hated the Orcs, they hated the Eldar no less, and the Exiles most of all; for the Noldor, they said, had stolen their lands and their homes. Long ere King Finrod Felagund came over the Sea, the caves of Nargothrond were discovered by them, and by them its delving was begun; ... the slow hands of the Petty-Dwarves had bored and deepened the caves through the long years that they dwelt there, untroubled by the Grey-elves of the woods. But now at last they had dwindled and died out of Middle-earth, all save Mîm and his two sons; and Mîm was old even in the reckoning of Dwarves, old and forgotten. And in his halls the smithies were idle, and the axes rusted, and their name was remembered only in ancient tales of Doriath and Nargothrond.
:read:
'Share and enjoy'

TomBombadillo

MIM

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

D*mn! Must read the Sil, you're right Grondy. :verysad: But when oh when? :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Cirdan

MIM

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I really thought Mim was great! I felt very sad when hearing about his history. Could never understand though why the Noldor would have hunted his people "as animals" as they were quite obviously humanoid in appearance and seemingly against Elven nature. But you can fully understand his (Mims) bitterness towards practically anyone, as practically everyone had *uc*ed him and his people in the past. I mean it was a miracle that he liked Turin as he was indirectly responsible for his sons death.

Indis

MIM

Post#10 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 pm

I really thought Mim was great! I felt very sad when hearing about his history. Could never understand though why the Noldor would have hunted his people "as animals" as they were quite obviously humanoid in appearance and seemingly against Elven nature. But you can fully understand his (Mims) bitterness towards practically anyone, as practically everyone had *uc*ed him and his people in the past. I mean it was a miracle that he liked Turin as he was indirectly responsible for his sons death.

I liked Mim too. I fell sorry for him, since he and his fellow Dwarves probably suffered a lot, and not only from those 'obviously evil' races like Orcs. Yes, he had his dark side -  he betrayed Turin and his company, but they harmed him and he couldn't forget what they have done to his son. He was also a  prisoner in his own house so I can see why he was so bitter. It is really frustrating that Turin's fate led to so many unnecessary evil. In my eyes Mim is just another victim of the tragedy of Turin.

Return to “Characters”