Important Fannish Issue: Does Eldarion have pointy ears?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Interesting point (chuckle, chuckle) possibly, only less so than his mother, in much the same way as half Klingons have less pronounced ridges on their foreheads.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No, I do not think Eldarion had pointy ears. I do not believe the men of Middle-earth would have wanted to be ruled over by any pointy-eared freak. :paranoid: :wink: Oops, :shocked: I forgot his mommy was still around, :soangry: so they wouldn't have had any choice in the matter.

Really, I expect the genes of Numenor would have over-ridden the pointy-eared trait; and if it didn't the ears would have been considered a much valued attribute serving as a reminder as to his honored maternal ancestors. :)
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But then again, Spock's only half vulcan, and he's got pointy ears, though his Mum was Human, so would the paternal gene outweigh the maternal in all cases?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nope, in no way is it maternal or paternal(in this case anyway!). Characteristics are inheirited from both parents by way of a childs genes. The child recieves one copy of each gene from each parent(each copy is called an allele) What the child looks like is determined by which allele is dominant(as opposed to recessive) over the other. For example blue eyes are recessive to brown. (btw, this is very,very simplified!)

And then it gets complicated. Some alleles aren't dominant or recessive to each other. This can have two results:

1)co-dominance eg. a tabby cat and a white cat produce a tabby and white kitten. Both alleles are fully expressed.

2)incomplete dominance eg a red flower and a white flower produce a pink flower. Neither allele is fully expressed.

So Eldarion could have pointed ears, human ears or slightly pointed ears to some extent(option 1 is not valid in this case without some sort of mutation taking place). I go for sort-of-pointed as with the different species it would be hard to know which allele should be dominant to the other.

valedhelgwath

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Further to 42's answer, if we study genetics statistically, where one allele is dominant to another, there is usually a 3:1 ratio of dominant characteristics showing to recessive. For instance, if A is a dominant allele for pointy ears, and a is the recessive allele for not pointed ears, we would get the following combinations; AA, Aa, aA, aa. Because A is dominant to a, the heterozygous combinations Aa and aA both result in pointed ears and only the aa combination does not.
Because this ratio does not exist in elven populations, we can assume that neither allele A or a are dominant to one another.
This leaves us with the situation where ear length must be determined by incomplete dominance, or more likely, a situation where more than one set of genes determines ear length. In these situations, a blend is normally created, where the offspring is an average of the parent genes.
Assuming the rules of genetics hold true in Middle-Earth (which incidently they don't, because a hybrid such as Elrond, Arwen etc would actually be sterile), 42 is correct in assuming Aldarion would have slightly pointed ears. QED.

grondmaster

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Is that the difinitive answer or what? :D
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

*seriously impressed.

Thank you Val and 42. And to think that when I started this thread, I was just kidding around.

To be honest, I was never really a convert to elves having pointy ears in the first place, and that humans and elves are really one and the same race. That way, Elrond is still fertile (or at least I strongly hope he is!)

I do think they look kind of cute though, in the movie. :) - the pointy ears that is.

Just curious, I know this is off topic, but some genes are paternal/maternal arent they? I mean, what sort of things can I blame my Dad for and which on my Mum? :Dnn[Edited on 15/5/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

TomBombadillo

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Even I could have answered your question that way, Alyssa, cos we just had that in Biology!!! Coincidence, or fate? I don't know, but it sounds too familiar to me... :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Allyssa

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I guess they weren't teaching genetics when I was at school.
;) :dunce:
"May the Angels Guide"

TomBombadillo

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

We even saw "human proceation". In detail. :boring:
:rolleyes:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “Characters”