valaraukar/balrogs

dwarf guy

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:36 am

in sil. i think it says the balrogs are maiar. if they are, are they inferior or equal to saouron???

Thorin Oakenshield

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:04 am

We can't say exactly because i don't think that all the maiar were of equal status or power. Maybe some such as Gothmog were as powerful while others were weaker. But i think the sil said they were demons/spirit of fire and maybe they were lesser because they were tied to the fire element.
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

arath

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#3 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 am

I dont think that they were maiar... but i suspect that im mistaken...

Loss

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:13 am

Balrogs are Maiar, and I think that they were classed just as servants of Morgoth and therefore all allies in the same cause... Though Sauron was Morgoth's most trusted Lieutenant, he may have been one "rank" higher than anyone else... but only when they were servants of Morgoth in the First Age, in the Third Age they aren't "allies" as Sauron didn't use them, though there was probably only one left, Durin's Bane. But before they allied themselves with Melkor, they were of the same order as Sauron/ Gandalf/ Saruman, so equal I say, until Melkor went all nasty.

Lord Of All

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#5 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:56 am

The Balrog (which are both Maiar) may have outmatched Sauron in combat but are inferior in terms of inner strength (but only slightly). The only possible equal to Sauron may have been Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, High Captain of Angband.

grondmaster

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#6 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:32 pm

O maybe Luthien and Huan. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Meneldur Elentirmo

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#7 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:25 pm

And apparently Frodo, Sam, and Gollum...in a manner of speaking! ;)

Lord Of All

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#8 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:20 am

I was talking about Sauron and Balrogs.

Other possible equals in regards to inner strength include Melian, Eonwe, perhaps Feanor. Sauron was a powerful Maiar and was superior to Olorin and the other Istari. The characters you have mentioned I do not believe could have outmatched him. :funnylaugh:

Loss

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#9 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 am

All Sauron has to do is hide a bucket of water under his armour and when Gothmog isnt't looking.... well you can guess :orcsmilie:

Meneldur Elentirmo

valaraukar/balrogs

Post#10 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:53 pm

That better be a PRETTY BIG bucket!! ;)

Well, all things considered, if you were to have Sauron vs. a Balrog, I think I would have to put my money on Sauron -- especially if he has The One Ring, or if it was before he created the Ring and put most of his strength into it. Something Thorin said earlier convinced me -- the part about the Balrogs being basically tied to the element of fire. Meanwhile Sauron is like pure "black magic" (for lack of a better term), and he probably has some measure of control over ALL the elements. And who knows WHAT other tricks & spells he might have up his sleeve.

Unfortunately we never really get to see much of Sauron "in action", except when he turns into a werewolf and fights Huan, so we don't really know all that he may be capable of. But think about this: when he occupies Dol Guldur, a shadow falls over half of Mirkwood! That's some pretty intense evil. And this is AFTER losing the Ring! If a Balrog was that strong, then I would think the Balrog of Moria's presence would easily be felt in Eregion.

Of course, I'm equating "evil presence" with "possible power" which might not be a valid comparison...but like I said we don't really have much to go on, as far as combat abilities. I'm assuming that someone like Sauron, whose evil can be felt hundreds of miles away, would be a pretty terrible foe to face in battle.

Return to “Characters”