Smaug

TomBombadillo

Smaug

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey there Sam, and welcome to the forum! :D

Chika: I keep thinking that too, but whenever I read it again, I still miss some parts apparently. :disturbed:

Aha! So there might be some dragons left in ME? Sounds like Tolkien to me, to keep some alive, but yet not tell us. :veryevil:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Allyssa

Smaug

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe the flying steeds of the Nazgul were more pteradactilic (sp?) or bat-like. They did not breathe fire or collect hoards of gold, or as far as we know, have scales. They do not appear to have been intelligent - they do not speak like Smaug, nor do they seem to have the dragon sense of vanity. But I suppose they could have been related if both were reptiles. :)

Smaug was a nasty piece of work, but he served his own purposes more or less. He did not serve Sauron, but was possibly allied with him.

The last dragon on ME? I hope so!
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Smaug

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And behold! it was a winged creature: if bird, then greater than all other birds, and it was naked, and neither quill nor feather did it bear, and its vast pinions were as webs of hide between horned fingers; and it stank. A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil.
So only the wings sound draconian, I also believe it was a member of the pterosaur (Greek for "wing lizards") family, the flying reptiles of the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods of history. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

chikakat

Smaug

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

that's interesting...I never really thought of them as lizardy...where'd that quote come from, Grondy?

Sam

Smaug

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Isn´t it from LotR...?

I think that Smaug wasn´t the last dragon of M-E. I think that somewhere in the far north of M-E was some dragons alive....They were maybe not interested in men and other peaople...they just wanted to live in peace, when Sauron was destroyed...I don´t know I just think it so :)nn[Edited on 1/7/2002 by Sam]

grondmaster

Smaug

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum Sam. :)

Okay, if Sam wishes to believe it was a dragon, I won't interfere other than to say it would have had to have been a non-fire breathing type and a very young one at that, to have its will subjected.
that's interesting...I never really thought of them as lizardy...where'd that quote come from, Grondy?
Sam's right about where the quote is from, it is from ROTK, Book 5, Chapter 6 entitled 'The Battle of the Pelennor Fields', just before it landed on Snowmane.
nn[Edited on 1/7/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Smaug

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Weren't the Fell Beasts Morgoth's corruption of the Eagles, or is that where he got his dragons from?

During the Second Age many dragons lived in the Withered Heath and the Ered Mithrin, but I think most of those had died by the Third Age. Smaug was described as being the greatest dragon of his time, which implies that there were other less powerful dragons still around.
When the dwarves were kicked out of Erebor in TA 2770 by Smaug, for some reason they went into excile rather than reclaiming their mines in the Ered Mithrin. To me, that says they were still afraid of dragons.

iago

Smaug

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Smaug was not the last dragon, though he was the last of the great ones:

It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.
(The Shadow of the Past, FoTR)

It doesn't say how many there are, it just say they don't have that good ol' fire... :)

chikakat

Smaug

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sam's right about where the quote is from, it is from ROTK, Book 5, Chapter 6 entitled 'The Battle of the Pelennor Fields', just before it landed on Snowmane.

ah...must remember to read more carefully...:read:

Sam

Smaug

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grond: I´m not saying that Nazguls were riding on dragons or that "the Witch King" was riding with dragon...I just believe that there are some dragons alive somewhere...

And chikakat don´t worry...I´ve just finished reading LotR...and it was thrid time. I read it every year when I have vacation from school.nn[Edited on 2/7/2002 by Sam]

Return to “Characters”