The Race you chose on PT

odette

The Race you chose on PT

Post#1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:48 am

Everyone must have a reason for choosing their races here on PT.I have always felt I wanted to be in ME,who I actually am,a mortal,hence I chose to be of the race of Men.And also the fact that elves seem to me to be rather high creatures(a bad notion from the movies) with their harps and languages,it put me off.And also I cannot see myself as a Dwarf or a Hobbit.I also wanted to be an Ent but then I love the Rangers more.
So come and share why you chose what you chose:)

Thorin Oakenshield

The Race you chose on PT

Post#2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I've always loved Dwarves because of their lore and skills and also because Aule is associated with them (he's my favourite Vala). Also, I think the fact that I absolutely love Khazad Dum and its mysteries played an improtant part in that!

Hail Durin! ;)

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

gandalf-olorin

The Race you chose on PT

Post#3 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

I did not actually choose Gandalf.  It was chosen for me by those who listened to my oral reading of The Hobbit and LotR years ago, back in 1979.  (My characterization of Gandalf is not Tolkien's, but it is unique to me.  I have voices for all the characters, and my Gollum is the same as Tolkien's.)  When I joined this site five years ago, I found that "Gandalf" was very over-used, as were "Mithrandir," and a host of other expansions on "Gandalf."  So I considered how I might modify the name, and thought "Gandalf" combined with his name in the West would be more likely to be available.  Such was the advent of Gandalf-Olorin.

Now why did those students I read to decide to christen me after the wizard?  Well, they liked my character voice for him, for one thing.  And perhaps they also thought of me as the older, wiser, friend who helped them out.  Maybe they were also thinking of my temper.  In any event, Gandalf stuck, and has become my most common nickname ever since.

Gandalf

galin

The Race you chose on PT

Post#4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Do you mean the description that appears under our names? if so I wasn't aware one could choose these.

Amarië

The Race you chose on PT

Post#5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:58 am

Do you mean the description that appears under our names? if so I wasn't aware one could choose these.

You choose race and location and username when you sign up. You can also change to a new location in your account area, under Edit Account. This costs 400 pieces of Mithrill.

I chose Elf from Rivendell when I signed up, since I was very fond of elves and Rivendell was what I felt suited me best. If the Grey Havens ever become an option, I will surely move there. 

I was an eagle for a while, but those locations had to go when we got the PT weather back. 

"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

odette

The Race you chose on PT

Post#6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:55 am

Well said everyone:)

I wish I could hear you read out some of Tolkien's works,Gandalf,although I don't know how that will happen:)

I used to be called Merry in school and my best friends were nick-named Pippin and Sam.More than being Hobbit-like we were known for our pranks and humor but now I have mellowed down enough to want to be a gentle,sword-wielding horse-mistress;)

galin

The Race you chose on PT

Post#7 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 am

You choose race and location and username when you sign up. 

Hmm, I must have forgotten. I don't remember choosing anything but my name.

Amarië

The Race you chose on PT

Post#8 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

I have never seen a user with no location, so I guess you would be given a random or default location if you forget to choose yourself. Perhaps I knew this once, but I don't know now. Some elf I am, huh? ;)

"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Balrogs R Us

The Race you chose on PT

Post#9 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:57 pm

These are all interesting responses. As for me....I was in a bit of a hurry when I signed up and, regrettably, just disregarded this option and chose randomly. I'll probably change when I have 400 mithril.

Personally I don't really feel like any of the options. If Balrog from Depths of Darkness was an option, that's what I would go with. Witch King from Angmar would be pretty sweet too...and it's not that I'm evil, I just always thought the bad guys looked the coolest and had the most interesting back stories sad

Dain Ironfoot III

The Race you chose on PT

Post#10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm

I chose to be a Dwarf mainly because my first exposure the world of Arda was The Hobbit (There and Back Again) The songs, tales, and the creation back-drop(Silmarillion) with Aule and the Dwarves being "adopted" children of Eru. They had many unsung battles with Dragons, Balrogs, Goblins from the North, spawns of Morgoth. It is a good thing that Gimli got the gift of Galadrial's three Golden hairs helping Wood and Mountain bond once more in the coming darkness of battles over Middle-Earth.

Return to “Characters”