Nazgul / Ringwraith

PlasticSquirrel

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Taz, you have to work with people who don't know that they're the same thing! How unfortunate for you. Though I do remember that on my first reading of LOTR I thought initially that they were only Nazgul once they were airborne, as that's when the word becomes more common in the text. Mind you, that's also the point where Tolkien abandons any pretence of using easy language and gets all grandiose and biblical about it.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nazg - gul = ring - wraith in Black Speach. Different names for the same thing. How could anyone think otherwise? It would be a curious argument.
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Úlariri in Quenya, the language of the High Elves = Nazgúl in Black Speech, the language of the enemy = Ring-wraiths in Westron, the Common Speech of men and hobbits. Of course Nazgúl also sounds Dwarvish, but I don't think it is.

The above is only my way of looking at the usage, and may be partially wrong.

'Share and enjoy'

rednell

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Not much I can add except people in your office have not picked a very good subject to debate. To simplify the argument just point out the index in ROTK, under Nazgul it states: Also called Black Riders, the Nine (Riders), Ringwraiths, Winged Messenger, Wraiths. The word according to Tolkien.

chikakat

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

just out of curiousity...what are the people in your office saying the difference between a Nazgul and a Ringwraith is?

TomBombadillo

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'd like to know that too. Cos there is none! :funnylaugh:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Princess_Lùthien

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:( if you watch LOTR Aragorn tells the hobbits that the Nazgul are ringwraiths

TomBombadillo

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And somewhere in the book you can read that too: "Nazgul, or Ringwraiths, or Black Riders." Same name for the same thing. :read:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Ungoliant

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But maybe Taz's mates had a point though. Must check my book again, but I can't remember if Gandalf or Elrond every used Nazghul & Ringwratihs interchangeably. Since they're two of the most learned beings on ME, I suppose then there could be room for debate.

Of course, I may be talking out of my a*se again, so I'll have to toodle off to check the book.

grondmaster

Nazgul / Ringwraith

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

See Rednell and my comments of 09 July above. It is the old Tolkien thing, his love of languages gave the different peoples different names for the same thing: i.e.. trucks, lories, vans, and semi's. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”