Feanor diagnosis?

brego

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm

I think you are onto something Azaghal.  However as the Elves are not prone to Illness, Sickness or Disease (or disorders I imagine)  its far more likely that he was touched by the Evil, Hate and Anger of Morgoth.  Who knows, as Morgoth hated Feanor more than any other Elf, perhaps he found a way of afflicting him with some unknown new thing.  He and Sauron managed to create plague like diseases which effected Men in later ages.

There is a heap on Feanor in other threads, take a look ibn the characters section.

leelee

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 am

If he did have such an illness it would have quickly come to the attention of Eru and those of the mighty ones and they would surely have had the means to deal with the problem to the joy of all . But to me, most likely it was selfish decisions and dark thoughts that caused darkness and evil to lodge in his heart. The choices we all have to make daily of good and evil, and he chose the later.

Indis

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#3 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

My thoughts are similar to what Brego - what for us might be some kind of mental illness, in the Tolkien universe is probably one of many aspects of evil spread by Morgoth on Arda. Feanor's behaviour definitely is something we didn't see before him - I'd say he is showing that particular dark side. It's like seven sins in the Catholic religion - they are all different aspect to the same thing.

brego

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#4 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Ive mentioned before in other threads and sorry to repeat myself.  I think there is something important in the demise of Feanor's dear mother Miriel.  I have a suspicion that somehow (I dont know how) Morgoth managed to do something to her, which effected Feanor before his birth.  I know that Morgoth was in the Fastness of Mandos during this time, but perhaps he found a way to infect or alter, using his great power, the Noldorian Queen, the first Elf to die in The Undying lands. As a Valar, he had great foresight and perhaps knew of the doom of Feanor and actually caused it in the first place.  A master stroke of Evil. Also by coincidence, Miriel's spirit would have been housed in Mandos, at the same time as Melkor was imprisoned there. I'm sure in a different area, but still in his halls,

brego

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#5 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 pm

I cannot believe that Illuvatar would have deliberately created a great, good and powerful being, and then allow him to suck the life energy from his Mother to the point of deliberate body abandonment, resulting in all the evil things to them play out from this one act.  I just cant see it. 

galin

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#6 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 am

I would not say that Morgoth did anything to Miriel specifically while he was imprisoned.

The idea however (see Finwe and Miriel 4, Morgoth's Ring), is that Elvish bodies were made of the stuff of Arda, which contained a Melkor ingredient. Morgoth invested his power into the very 'physical constituents of the Earth' and thus 'the whole of Middle-earth was Morgoth's Ring' 

In this way Morgoth's evil 'entered' into Aman and was in a very general sense a part of Miriel's fate; and I cannot help but note the singular circumstances of Feanor's birth here -- as Nerdanel, for example, had seven sons while Miriel was wearied beyond the desire for life from having Feanor alone.

Like him or not, Feanor was very great, drawing so much from his mother that she was wearied beyond healing, her hroa made of the stuff of Arda (itself tainted by Melkor in the days of his might).

Elbereth

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 pm

I totally agree with Brego in the first post here. Morgoth hated so much to Feanor that perhaps with some kind of power could turned him to be such a character. We must never forget how the ring made Frodo a completely distrustful being! He became a dark ghost as days went by.  When evil is against you, its will can turn you in the most hateful being if you are not strong.

It happens the same in real life, what does it happen when a cheerful person works or is the whole day with moaners that only see the glass half empty? You come into this negative spiral and go down and down until no one can recognize you!

galin

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#8 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Keep in mind too Feanor's attitude toward Morgoth, and his [Feanor's] way of working:

'... for none of the Eldalie ever hated Melkor more than Feanor son of Finwe, who first named him Morgoth; and snared though he was in the webs of Melkor's malice against the Valar he held no converse with him and took no counsel from him. For Feanor was driven by the fire of his own heart only, working ever swiftly and alone; and...'

And after Feanor crafted the Silmarils, Morgoth: 'From that time forth, inflamed by this desire, he sought ever more eagerly how he should destroy Feanor and end the Friendship of the Valar and the Elves.'

Brego in his first post writes: 'Who knows, as Morgoth hated Feanor more than any other Elf, perhaps he found a way of afflicting him with some unknown new thing. He and Sauron managed to create plague like diseases which effected Men in later ages.' 

But Melkor sowed lies rather than some unknown new thing or disease, if subtly; and conjured visions (in the hearts of the Elves) of mighty realms that they could have ruled at their own will; and by this poisoning (among other lies) he reached Feanor indirectly, for Feanor burned with a desire for wider realms and 'freedom' from the Valar.

Generally speaking this wasn't only something Feanor felt, for even though Galadriel swore no oath, she too (at least) 'yearned to see the wide unguarded lands and to rule there a realm of her own', kindled by the words of Feanor himself.

Of like mind with Galadriel was Fingon, also being moved by Feanor, as well as others of the Noldor, kindled with the desire of new things and strange countries.

Elbereth

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#9 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:15 am

Ok, then we might think that maybe Feanor has no disease but he was the first Elf that felt hatred. I don't remember the elves hating Melkor, only being scared of him.  He used lies to get his own purposes, so malice appeared in his heart. He defied the Valar, had a boastful behaviour and I think at first, he really wanted revenge and get back the Silmarils, but at the end it was more a matter of ego than a true desire of making justice.

Feanor is not one of my favourite characters... Sorry.

galin

Feanor diagnosis?

Post#10 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 am

'But in the bearing of her son Miriel was consumed in spirit and body; and after his birth she yearned for release from the labour of living.'

Silmarillion

That is the reason Miriel desired to die. And (for better clarity):

'Also the Eldar say that in the begetting, and still more in the bearing of children, greater share and strength of their being, in mind and in body, goes forth than in the making of mortal children.'

Laws And Customs of the Eldar, Morgoth's Ring

My 'drawing' above was just another way to say this. A great Elf given a notably different circumstance regarding his birth.

Th

Return to “Characters”