Frodo too skinny?

thefunnyhobbit

Frodo too skinny?

Post#1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 am

What do you guys think, is Frodo to skinny to be called a Hobbit? I think he's too skinny to be a Hobbit.

:funnylaugh:

valedhelgwath

Frodo too skinny?

Post#2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am

Welcome to the site, FunnyHobbit.

Frodo was partially Fallowhide. These tended to be taller and slimmer than the Harfoot and Stoor strains, so explains Frodo's appearance.

brego

Frodo too skinny?

Post#3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm

We see him on the day that he jumps into Gandalf"s arms, at the start of TFOTR so he looks to me to be the same as he did over 12 years ago, which in itself is amazing....

rimorob

Frodo too skinny?

Post#4 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

In my Imagination , not only is he 2 skinny but also the wrong shape. on being read the Hobbit at the age of 7 I pictured hobbits as more pear shaped, like a McDonalds Grimmus but smaller and not purple

smeagol42318

Frodo too skinny?

Post#5 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

O my elbereth....not purple?
I think hobbits are just stronger and chubby. Frodo was loose limbs and anorexia.

glorfindel

Frodo too skinny?

Post#6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Maybe being around the One Ring while growing up made his physique different. blush

smeagol42318

Frodo too skinny?

Post#7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am

Maybe, or maybe his real father is Lord Elrond and we just dont know it 0_o

wildespace

Frodo too skinny?

Post#8 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:23 am

"Frodo was neither very fat nor very timid; indeed, though he did not know it, Bilbo (and Gandalf) had thought him the best hobbit in the Shire." - Fog on the Barrow-Downs

However, somewhere in the book it says that when Frodo left the Shire, he was fairly fattened-up and "timid".

"'I am sure you have given me all the heaviest stuff,' said Frodo. 'I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs.'

'I could take a lot more yet, sir. My packet is quite light,' said Sam stoutly and untruthfully.

'No, you don't, Sam!' said Pippin. 'It is good for him. He's got nothing except what he ordered us to pack. He's been slack lately, and he'll feel the weight less when he's walked off some of his own.'" - Three is Company

But of course the quest took its toll, and later on Frodo was a shadow of his former self.

brego

Frodo too skinny?

Post#9 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:22 am

Your correct Widespace. Frodo, like all Hobbits, would have been slightly chubby at the start of his quest. He gradually looses weight through his journey.

However he also was much older in the book. I don't think an older Frodo would have worked and Elija's beautiful performance won me over from the fist introduction. Merry and Pip also should have been chubbier. But again I loved them.

Marriel Baggins

Frodo too skinny?

Post#10 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 am

Holy Lembas bread Frodo was described in the book as " Tall, fair, thinner then most hobbits and had an elvish look to him...." he looks just fine.  But I must admit he must take a whole lot of evening walks or skips second breakfast or something.  On the other hand if you think Frodo is skinny then what about Merry and Pippin? they arn't exactly like a bowl full of jelly.  indecision

Return to “Characters”