Eomer

Samwisegamgee

Eomer

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I pictured the guy who played Haldir as Eomer. I didn't like him as Haldir, though.
I found it interesting what Eomer says in the book about how Boromir is 'more like to the swift sons of Eorl', i.e., the Rhorrim. This I take to mean that Eomers people are more warriors and the people of Gondor more wise. Eomer contrasted with Faramir certainly seems to demonstrate this.

TomBombadillo

Eomer

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Have we forgotten Eomer?

*tom checks the character list*

OMG We have!!! Eeek! :wary:

All right, what's to say about Eomer? :cool:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Naira

Eomer

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think towards the end it was more about Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, Eowyn that other characters were cast aside, even Legolas and Gimli. Eomer, Imrahil were all courageous people but supposedly still weren't as courageous as Aragorn because he went to the Paths of Dead and all. But then again so did Legolas and Gimli and the rangers and no one even gives them any credit.
"I wish the real world would just stop hassling me"

Ungoliant

Eomer

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've always pictured him as Kenneth Brannaugh in Henry V. At least when Henry V (movie) came out anyway. But before that...just veddy, veddy English.

nn[Edited on 13/9/2002 by Ungoliant]

valedhelgwath

Eomer

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Like Faramir and Imrahil, Eomer is another of those supporting characters who you know you can totally depend on, and who'd you pick to have on your side when the going gets tough. Brave, honourable, courteous, dependable, heroic... Those five words can describe all three of them, but Eomer's maybe a little rougher around the edges than the other two.

grondmaster

Eomer

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But unlike those other two, Éomer has a more equinal aroma about him, not to mention that he isn't Dúnedain. However, I would rather have him beside me in a fight than the other two. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Naira

Eomer

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, Eomer and Faramir will be related anyway... But Eomer does seem tougher than the other two, do you think he'll be content with being a King and staying in his castle (or wherever he is staying) rather than going out to fight?

Ungoliant

Eomer

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can't help but feel that Eomer got conned at the end. Okay, conned is too strong perhaps...shortchanged then.

Everyone else received land, titles, medals, songs written after them, women, promotions and hearty pats on the back, but poor Eomer & the Rohirrim? Aragorn even had the bloody cheeck to justify his stinginess towards Eomer:
And last of all Aragorn greeted Eomer of Rohan, and they embraced, and Aragorn said: 'Between us there can be no word of giving and taking, nor of reward; for we are brethren. In happy hour did Eorl ride from the North, and never has any league of people been more blessed, so that neither has wither failed the other, nor shall fail...

How does Eomer reward his vassals & reimburse the families of the fallen Rohirrim then? Out of his own coffers? Phooey. Aragorn conveniently 'renewed' to Eomer the gift of Cirion, which was under Rohan anyway. Miser! :P:

Naira

Eomer

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey, I think you're right! It's like people didn't even care about him even if he was the King of Rohan in the end - he's just one of those people who helped protect ME in the war and in the meantime helping Aragorn to be a King, but never really was thought to be important enough for praises or anything like that. Of course, he was too nice to ask for them...

Ungoliant

Eomer

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Besides, if he needed money, he could sell horses to Gondor at highly inflated prices because, he now had an "in" with the ruling powers.

Forgot about that. Hooray for dubious trade practices! ;)

Seriously though, Eomer was far too nice. I'm sure the expenses for the war with Saruman, let alone saving Gondor's butt, was enormous. It's going to take plenty of horses to cover that one.

I think it would have been nicer if Aragorn had offered something to him. Then Eomer could graciously refuse, using pretty much the same lines that Aragorn said in the paragraph above. That'll make Aragorn seem less niggardly.

Return to “Characters”