Who Is Your Favorite Character?

Samwisegamgee

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think you can get THE TOLKIEN READER over Amazon.com, Tommy. I will have to get it myself. Tolkien and Gordon's translation of 'Gawain' is featured in a book with two other translations by Tolkien, 'Pearl' and 'Sir Ofreo' and I have seen it in a lot of bookstores. Another more philological book of Tolkien's is Monsters and the Crtics and Other Essays. I have not read this one either, but I am dying to get my hands on it.
Welcome, Ross, hope to see you around. Check out our 'Information for Newbies thread' in Help.
Back to the subject...another character I really like in ME is the hound that helps Luthien and Beren. I should know it's name but my mind is becoming water...anyone?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi there Orimono, just popped my head in to disagree about He whose name I no longer speak, if you've read any of the other boards around here you'll know how I feel about the useless little freak that is S*m.
I have no favorite character however, it's always easier to be negative don't you think? ;)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Orimono_Shujin

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ha! True. True. :winking:

MelliotSandybanks

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My favorite character changes everytime I read the stories. That is a really tough question. I love how Bilbo is so down to earth, and the fact that there is more to him than meets the eye. But I also think that is true about most of Tolkien's characters. I love Sam's faithfulness to Frodo. Aragorn is so mysterious as Strider. Legolas is very intriging. I love Gimli's character. Of course I love Gandalf.

I really can't answer that. I could list each character and tell you why I like him or her.

valedhelgwath

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's a hard question, Orimono, but I think it would have to be Aragorn. For someone who's destiny was to be King of the United Kingdom, he was so down to earth. And concidering who he was, it must have been so tempting to just put his feet up in Rivendell, and say, "What go out today? Are you joking? It's raining!"
Instead he led a hard life (somewhere he is described as being the hardiest Man of his age), and fought a lifetime in the cause of good. There wouldn't be many who could face off against five nazgul either (and he drove them off).
On top of that, he was highly educated too. I love the bit in the film where he's stood in the background at Rivendell when Boromir wonders in and drops the hilt of Narsil. I think that one scene beautifully showed the difference between the two of them.
I liked him in the book, and I think Viggo did a brilliant job of him in the film too. (And if he manages to get a bit of both Arwen and Eowyn in the film, then good luck to him.... except then, it'd be swords drawn at dawn with Faramir.)

Outside of LOTR, I think Finrod Felagund and Fingolfin are my favourites.

Samwisegamgee

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I really can't answer that. I could list each character and tell you why I like him or her.

Do so! It will be interesting to read. I'll post my list:
Sam: I love his devotion to Frodo, and his humour. I feel like I am Sam by the end of the book, even though we are not very a like.
Frodo: I can relate to him the best of all the characters, I love his way of thinking, and of course the way he takes the Ring all the way to Mordor.
Strider: I like his mysteriousness, but only when he is Strider.
Gimli: He is funny.
Legolas: I like his love of nature, and the many insightful things he says about the world from the Elves point of view.
Gandalf: How could anyone not like Gandalf?...
Faramir: He is very wise and just as much of a 'kingly perrson' as Aragorn.
Galadriel: I like her sadness. (I know it sounds strange)
Elrond: I like the way he just sort of sits back and moves things with his wisdom.
Glorfindel: I like his mysteriousness, and of course Tolkien's description of him is one of the best in the book: 'his face was fair and young and fearless and full of joy, on his brow sat wisdom and in his hand was strength.'
Cirdan: Another mysterious elf, I love the way that he loves the Sea.
Tom Bombadil and Goldberry: They are stranger and freerer than anyone else in the book.
Pippin and Merry: They are funny, and I like their optomisim.
Now that I've named like all the characters I'll stop... ;)

[Edited on 28/9/2002 by Grondmaster]nn[Edited on 3/10/2002 by Samwisegamgee]

MelliotSandybanks

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

ok Samwise, I can see this is going to be an ongoing tread. I will list a few more every day.

Boromir. I like much better in book than in the movie. I believe the book showed his complexness much better, and how the ring truely affected him. and of course his regret at what he had done. The movie tried, but it just did not come off quite right.

Merry and Pippen were great. just wonderful little hobbits. great personalities. true people, sometimes scared, sometimes brave, not always very bright, but sometimes wise. I identified with them.

Elrond, I love his wisdom. Wish I could be more like him. He reminds me of some one that I am very close to and care a great deal about. Intelligent, hard and cold at times, but very gentle and warm other times. He is also very sad because of the things he has seen and lost, but can put the past behind at times and really enjoy himself.

Well that is all for now. More later.

Orimono_Shujin

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

i agree with you on the borimir thing. He definatly was portrayed better in the book. ;) (or however you say it)nn[Edited on 28/9/2002 by Grondmaster]

grondmaster

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm more partial to Treebeard.
I'll look for thee, and wait for thee, until we meet again:
Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain!

Together we will take the road that leads into the West.
And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest.
'Share and enjoy'

Orimono_Shujin

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

YAY SOMONE FINALLY MENTIONED TREEBEARD! :D nn[Edited on 28/9/2002 by Grondmaster]

Return to “Characters”