Who Is Your Favorite Character?

Post#251 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Of course I like and admire the nine, they all have a special place in my heart.

that's the Fellowship... ;)

Thorin Oakenshield

Post#252 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:12 am

my other one is Gandulf because he is the oldest and the wises.

I'm going to read The Lord of the Rings again now! I never met a character called Gandulf! :orcgin: :elkgrin: :elfwink:

My all time favourite character is Aragorn!

Post#253 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I never met a character called Gandulf! :orcgin:

Gandulf was the seventh son of the seventh son of Poppa Smurf, but he still wasn't much of a wizard. Would you want everything you touched to turn into a foamy resemblance of its former self? After he accidentally turned their toadstool house to foam and it blew away in during a high windstorm, his parents fitted him with a pair of white gloves and things turned a little more normal for him.

Then in 1969, Gandulf was hired by Parker Brothers in their Sporting Goods Division, where he worked in the production department. That portion of the company is now part of Hasbro due to a series of mergers and acquisitions. Gandulf has had a direct hand in the manufacture of all their creations that have "NERF" as part of their name. NERF, which rhymes with Smurf, stands for Non-Expanding Recreational Foam.:teacher:

And if you don't believe my little factoid, so much the better. :elfbiggrin:

But of course, Smurfs aren't the creation of Tolkien and thus Gandulf can't be my favorite character. I lean more towards Tom Bombadil. :happyelf:
'Share and enjoy'

Post#254 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 am

"There Melian came, the Lady grey,
and dark and long her tresses lay,
beneath her silver girdle seat
and down unto her silver feet."
- who could resist falling in love with this introduction.

Melian was indeed special.Her entry into the plot was original.It was she who began the inter-racial union "trend".Her unconditional love,though not presented in elaborate sub-plots like her daughter Luthien's,touched many hearts.I truly admire the ability to care and love with level-headedness and this maia was at the top of my list.Melian definitely stands out for all the right reasons!

Post#255 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm

See I have always liked bad guys, and Lurtz (Ugluk) is an awesome fighter, so he would probably be my favorite character. For the good guys I would have to say It is either Gimli or Eomer.

Post#256 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:35 pm

I just had this feeling the first time that I heard the name of Prince Imrahil the fair I loved him, Don't quite know why but I wish he would have been a fleshed out character in one of the films

Post#257 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I would like to know about Prince Imrahil and his blood line. Is he a man rich in Numenorian blood, or does his kin have Elvish blood somehow in the mix. I think Legolas recognises the presents of Elvendome in him upon meeting him yet he is treated as a Lord of Men by everyone else. If anyone knows more I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Post#258 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 am

There is a small section about Imrahil's bloodline in Unfinished Tales...

There used to be a small Elvish port near Dol Amroth. It was here that Nimrodel was headed when she became separated from Prince Amroth. With her was a companion, an elf-maiden called Mithrellas. When they became lost in the forest Imrazor the Numenorian found and harboured Mithrellas, eventually marrying her. Their children were Galador, who became the first Lord of Dol Amroth, and his sister Gilmith. Imrahil was the 22nd Lord of Dol Amroth, and as a descendant of Galador also carried this Elven blood (albeit much diluted). Mithrellas was a Silvan Elf, rather than a Noldor or Sindar, but this blood was said to have ever made the Lords of Dol Amroth noble and fair in face and mind.

Post#259 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Great, thanks Val. I'll have to dig out UFTs and have a good read.

Post#260 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I think this matter is to be seen as a legend within a legend, or as Tolkien put it in 1972, concerning the princely house of Dol Amroth: 'this line had a special Elvish strain, according to its own legends' Legolas appears to believe the legend just by looking at Imrahil, so if you take it as true you would at least be in good company.

In a text written before The Return of the King was published, Mithrellas was said to be one of the companions of Nimrodel who fled Lorien in the year 1980 of the Third Age. She was ultimately harboured by Imrazor the Numenorean, who took her to wife.

Granted, it is hard to see how Legolas could be wrong, and the author does provide a somewhat detailed tradition in posthumously published papers, but I note that the tradition itself includes the detail that after this Elf maiden had born children 'she slipped away by night and he saw her no more'

So I think Tolkien plays with the legendary status of this tale: on the one hand it might be thought that it was well known that Imrazôr had taken a 'fairy wife', however it might also be wondered why she appears to have fled so early -- thus her time was limited here, at least; in other words, perhaps this very action led some to wonder about, believe, or even start the tale that this woman had been one of the immortal folk?

Anyway, the founding of Dol Amroth is another matter: according to an author's note to Cirion and Eorl (Unfinished Tales) the founding of Dol Amroth may go well back before Galador (son of Mithrellas according to the legend), with the name 'Dol Amroth' being applied much later. This is a late note, but if I read the description correctly, in a very late note (December 1972 or later) Tolkien again refers to Nimrodel in any case, with:

'The legend of the prince's line was that one of the earliest fathers had wedded an Elf-maiden: in some versions it was indeed (evidently improbably) said to have been Nimrodel herself. In other tales, and more probably, it was one of Nimrodel's companions who was lost in the upper mountain glens.'

Which again, considering 'one of the earliest fathers' here, seems to imply that the line started nearer the drowning of Amroth instead of much earlier. With respect to these accounts Christopher Tolkien notes:

'... the two statements can only be reconciled on the supposition that the line of the Princes, and indeed the place of their dwelling, went back more than two thousand years before Galador's day, and that Galador was called the first Lord of Dol Amroth because it was not until his time (after the drowning of Amroth in the year 1981) that Dol Amroth was so named.'

Skipping over the further difficulty of an Adrahil mentioned here, Christopher Tolkien also notes that while his explanations to reconcile the seemingly variant accounts are not impossible, they seem less likely than there being two distinct and independent traditions of the origins of the Lords of Dol Amroth.  

Return to “Characters”