Who Is Your Favorite Character?

TomBombadillo

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It may sound strange, but Isildur never really was like a character to me. Always tended to see him more like a myth or a legend. I tend to focus on the head characters in a book. Funny me again. :P:

I spotted copy of Tolkien's letters in a bookshop recently (and why oh why didn't I buy it?!). Still regretting that one. :paranoid:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Samwisegamgee

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You didn't buy it? What's wrong with you? :funnylaugh:
I think of Isildur in the same way, Tommy. And he is a legend, to almost everyone except Cirdan, Elrond, and Galadriel.
I also like Boromir. Of all the characters in the book, he is the most human to me, because all he wants to do is protect his people, and yet he makes mistakes.

Halo_Black

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I also like Boromir. Of all the characters in the book, he is the most human to me, because all he wants to do is protect his people, and yet he makes mistakes.

And get turned into a human pincushon *starts crying hystericly* Waaa! I liked Boromirs to, I liked him almost as much as I liked Gandalf and Ugluk (and Lurtz)!!!!!!! How comes my fave charicters usualy end up deaded :orcsad: nn[Edited on 12/10/2002 by Grondmaster]

Ross

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello to you all also. Isildur is a good character especially if you read all of his story in the unfinished tales.
A must have book for all fans is the Tolkien Bestiary. it covers almost everything including the Olvar and Kelvar.
Frodo annoys me a times, like when he exerts his master like status over Sam. The big snob.
Sod off I'm busy!

Samwisegamgee

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Ross! Frodo doesn't exert himself over Sam by the end though.

Eryan

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

About Frodo and Sam... I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember that I read somewhere that during the 1st World War military rules FORBADE, actually FORBADE to officers to make friends with their men! Officers should make friends only with other officers... And servants were not supposed to sit at table with their masters. There was much. much more social inequality than today.
And in XVIIth century it was even worse. If any of you will read, for instance, the Spanish play from that period, Celestine, you will be shocked by the behaviour of masters toward servants! Verbal abuse and corporal punishment (slaps in the face, kicking) were common and considered as normal by both masters and servants...

raptor

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And get turned into a human pincushon *starts crying hystericly* Waaa! I liked Boromirs to, I liked him almost as much as I liked Gandalf and Ugluk (and Lurtz)!!!!!!! How comes my fave charicters usualy end up deaded
Some weird disease,I guess...a severe case of arrow-intoxication :D Anyway,I like Isildur exactly for that reason-he's more like a shadow of the Old Days.....more mysterious and interesting.And Pippin is plain funny!

Celebrian

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think it`s rather difficult to find a favourite character..I like all of them..exept the bad ones..even though they`re kinda cool..I like..Bill? Yup, I like Bill.

elentari31

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I totally agree with the two of you:

Frodo annoys me a times, like when he exerts his master like status over Sam. The big snob.

I love Boromir. He's a great person. I still wonder why Tolkien had to make him die... :(

Samwisegamgee

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

True, what you said about social postitions, Eryan. Tolkien, having served in the war, was aware of this and I think he stuck Sam in to point something out about why class does and does not work and what the real difference is between 'servents' and 'masters'.
I think he made Boromir die because even the bravest, noble people do die.

Return to “Characters”