Frodo

Eryan

Frodo

Post#101 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Golly,
you are of course right that Frodo became more sensitive and mature long before his final fall when the Ring broke at last his resistance. However, the fact that he strove so very hard to resist the temptation of the Ring... and yet he did not succeed... must have marked him very profoundly as well. I have a feeling (just a feeling, an intuition...) that his uwilingness to kill anybody was related to profound compassion toward all his fellow men (and fellow hobiits), including the fallen ones. He knew now from his own experience, how it may be difficult, or even positively impossible, not to fall, eben if one does really his best! So he did not want anymore to act as a stern judge and "condamn" anybody... he felt he has no right to do that, actually, that nobody has any right to do that...

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#102 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I actually think his reluctance to kill comes from the fact that he became corrupted by the ring. I do think he could have killed gollum both before and at mount Doom - when he was defending the ring from being taken. No doubt he fought very hard against Gollum taking the ring (and had Gollum not succeeded, Frodo may have thrown him into the fires and killed him himself). But having been "forgiven" and having forgiven himself somewhat, he is reluctant to do anything that would bring him that close to being corrupted again. Just as some (former) alcoholics won't even have Nyquil in the house, Frodo didn't even want to face the temptation. Killing is a very serious thing and can indeed corrupt your soul if not done in the spirit of sacrifice - and I don't think Frodo wanted to take any more chances with his soul.nn[Edited on 28/6/2002 by swampfaye]

gnampie

Frodo

Post#103 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think he would have, because the Ring had finally succeeded in taking over Frodo's mind in the end. And apparently Eryan is with me here, but not everyone is. :D

OK Tommy, I rise to the bait. I know you are refering to me here.
We talked about this in the discussion group and I don't share the opinion the quest would have failed without gollum. I would love to believe Sam could have brought Frodo back to reason and Frodo would have throwed the ring in himself. Maybe after a fight with Sam (with Sam almost going over the edge, yes almost Plastic!) that could make him realise what he is doing, bringing him back to his senses. But obviously i was standing alone with this idea. Anyone with me? :wary:

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#104 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That would have been a beautiful ending...

Have you ever seen Young Hercules (based on the Kevin Sorbo Hercules: TLJ)? There was one episode that sticks in my mind (my kids loved the show) where Hercules was burning up with the fire from the Gods or something, that made him evil. THe only person he couldn't hurt was Iolaus and the only way that his friends could save him was by throwing Iolaus into the water and drowning him (almost) - Hercules had to dive into the water to save Iolaus and it put out the fire.

thats what your ending reminded me of - Isn't it interesting the enduring energy and depth friendship can take on? I suppose this is what God intended for marriage as well - I feel like I'll be one hundred ans eleven before I reach that level with my husband...nn[Edited on 1/7/2002 by swampfaye]

Eryan

Frodo

Post#105 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Anyway, Frodo WAS corrupted by the Ring, and even if the Quest would succeed not because of Gollum's intervention, bu because of Sam, it is a fact which must have marked him deeply.

gnampie

Frodo

Post#106 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Anyway, Frodo WAS corrupted by the Ring, and even if the Quest would succeed not because of Gollum's intervention, bu because of Sam, it is a fact which must have marked him deeply.

Yes of course, I too believe the ring damaged Frodo. It also had his effect on Bilbo and he did give away the ring out of free will. Frodo didn't have the ring as long as Bilbo did, but during his journey in Mordor the power of the ring must have been way much stronger. So even if he could have thrown the ring in the fire himself, he still would have been marked by the heavy psychological battles he has been through.

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#107 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe he couldn't throw the ring into the fire... but could he throw "himself" into the fire?

TomBombadillo

Frodo

Post#108 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Now that's interesting. Like Gollum did, you mean? But why would Frodo throw himself in? Or maybe the edge gave way again? :P: Me guessing Frodo could not have thrown the Ring in all by himself. With the "help" of Gollum or Sam perhaps, but not on his own. The power of the Ring had become too strong for anyone to be able to do that.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

chikakat

Frodo

Post#109 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

He absolutely could not have thrown it in himself...way back in FotR, Gandalf had to take the ring from Frodo before they could throw it even into the cooking fire...if Frodo wasn't able to hurt the ring then, before he was so much under its power, there is no way that he could have done it at Mt Doom. It would be fabulous if, like you say, gnampie, Sam could talk Frodo back to reason, but I think he was beyond any help. Also, you know, I'm not sure that anyone could have willingly destroyed the ring; it was just too powerful.

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#110 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If Gandalf took the ring while Frodo was under it's power... why couldn't Sam take the ring and throw it? I believe even a hobbit could have a will greater than Sauron.... even if it wasn't writen that way. And you really don't know what would have happened if Frodo *realized* he would lose Sam without action. Even Gollum forgot his need for the ring when he reached for Frodo...if only for a moment.

Return to “Characters”