Frodo

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Frodo told Sam an enemy would "look fair and feel foul" and Strider said "Where I look fould and feel fair, is that it?" Sam didn't trust Strider. And the Strider in the movie isn't particularly handsome, especially compared to his fellows, but he is rugged looking.

Tolkien told his story like a male. It is a very insightful read if you are a female (if you want that kinda look into a male psyche). I was thinking of starting a thread about that... under the books: LOTR discussion.. so look it up and see if I actually started it I suppose...

Eryan

Frodo

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As for the masculine beauty, also Turin Turambar is told to be extremely handsome
- almst as an Elf (he is even called Adanedhel because of that).

As for the looks of Frodo, he is described by Gandalf to Barliman Butterbur in a following way:

"A stout little fellow with red cheeks [...]. It goes for most hobbits [...] but this one is taller than
some and fairer than most, and he has a cleft in his chin: perky chap with a bright eye"

Well this description does not fit very well to Elijah Wood does it?

I will tell a blasphemy now - I realised right now, that it fits very well to the
French actor... Gerard Depardieu!
Ha!!!
Now I'm hiding my head in my shoulders awaiting an avalanche of protests...!

Ungoliant

Frodo

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

To tell you the truth, that's how I've always imagined Frodo. That, or a pint-sized Winston Churchill.

grondmaster

Frodo

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, a young Winnie with a pipe instead of a cigar. But of course then it won't sell many tickets to the teenie-boppers.
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Frodo

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You too imagined Forod in this way?!!!
How great!!
I awaited only blows - what a delightful surprise!...
Actually, small Winnie with a pipe was always my idea of Bilbo...

TomBombadillo

Frodo

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mine too. But Gerard Depardieu?? No, Elijah did a great job, and he more or less fitted my image of Frodo, but then younger. I imagined Frodo to be a lot older than the other hobbits. To look it, anyway. To look wiser, less boyish. :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Ungoliant

Frodo

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, young Winnie with the pipe will do. :)

It's strange though, that I've always imagined Bilbo as a young, pixie/gnome like bloke - maybe it's because I read the Hobbit when I was much, much younger. He seemed younger than Frodo in my imagination...doesn't make sense, I know.

swampfaye

Frodo

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Makes total sense Ungy. I remember meeting with some old friends from high school.. I expected them to look the same even after 15 years! Imagine what a difference if it were 60 years like in the Fellowship!

Elijah is how I would have liked to picture Frodo if I didn't despise him so much in the books.. (actually the Bashki version of Frodo is how I imagined him, but I prefer the movie version).

Ungoliant

Frodo

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's right faye - maybe that's why I got such a shock when I saw how old Bilbo was in FotR.

I felt sorry for book Frodo because I couldn't bear to imagine an old-ish fellow plodding slowly up the mountain & through marshes ....carrying such a burden. It broke my heart...I hate to see old people suffer since I always imagine how it's like if my parents were in that position. Dunno if I'll feel sorry for the movie Frodo. It's hard to feel that much pity for a person so young.

Eryan

Frodo

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I never thought about Frodo in that way. I always assumedt that his suffering was mostly
on the mental plan, comparable to sufferings of someone determined to fight with a very
strong addiction.
Physically, he seems to be quite fit - after all, he alsways loved long walks in the countryside
and it seems that he had quite a lot of exercise when still living peacefully in Shire...
In Tolkien's world old people are often in a very good physical shape, they are "hale":
look at Gandalf, quick and nimble as a goat, or even on Theoden charging enemy at the Helm's Deep or on
Pelennor fields...

Return to “Characters”