Samwise Gamgee

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sam's far too much of a stereotype for my liking. And I think he's a closet. ;)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Boring

Samwise Gamgee

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

not again the whole ranting about sam if he is or isn't :)

but i would also like to think so that he is

the only good parts with sam are when he is talking to gollum

chikakat

Samwise Gamgee

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can't ever decide about Sam...sometimes he's great (like in the beginning, and when he helps Frodo and kills Shelob and all) but other times he just bugs me.

grondmaster

Samwise Gamgee

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Point of Info: Sam didn't kill Ungoliant's daughter, just muchly wounded her pride as well caused her great bodily pain with that Elven pin-prick, that Bilbo named, 'Sting'. She crawled back to her hidey hole and nobody has heard of her since, at least to spread the tale. *teacher

Still your point is well taken. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Ungoliant

Samwise Gamgee

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can't stand Sam. Narrow minded, common little git - like his father. Wish both of them would fall into Mt. Doom.

Agree with Boring, the only good Sam parts in LOTR was when he was talking to Gollum.

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yep, you're right Golly he's an irritating holier-than-thou tosser most of the time. But I like his Ouliphant poem.

Allyssa

Samwise Gamgee

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I liked Sam.

My only problem with film Sam was that he was wy too visually appealing. In the books he is frequently reminded by others (Merry, Pippin, Faramir) that he is rather ugly.

Still I guess that's Hollywood..
"May the Angels Guide"

Rosie

Samwise Gamgee

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Personally, i thought Tolkien's portrayal of Sam as the loyal servant/side kick thing was a little too archaic for my liking..

But, Sam, by the end of the book, seems to have gotten the better end of the bargain. He stuck with Frodo untill the very end, got to even take around the ring for a while, basked in enough glory to make him legend...comes back to the Shire to marry the girl of his dreams, Rosie!
he gets to have his cake and eat it too!
and poor old Frodo....
"I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger one has to give them up, lose them, so others might keep them."

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I never thought of it like that Rosie, that's heartbreaking!
And Alyssa, Sean Astin is far from visually appealing, seriously, I'm worried about you ;) He's a porky little git, and wasn't he the fat kid from the Goonies? And once again I'm going to bring up the fact that he can't do a westcountry accent for s**t, and lapses into full Yankee when things get exciting.

Halo_Black

Samwise Gamgee

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Isn't he the best? I love Pippin, he's just so energetic. But when it comes to hobbits, I'd rather be with Samwise Gamgee than an of the others, including Bilbo. Don't you agree?

Poo! :D I don't like Sam at all! He just seems to be the steriotypical sidekick, he's the only charicter I didn't like. As for Bilbo, hes kinda cool, especialy when hi goes all Gollumish :P
the only good parts with sam are when he is talking to gollum

I don't like the way he acted towards Gollum (one of my fave charicters). But I liked it when he pops up in the film...I actualy thought he was kinda cute, reminded me of my cat!:D[Edited on 8/1/2002 by Halo_Black]

Return to “Characters”