Samwise Gamgee

grondmaster

Samwise Gamgee

Post#151 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think he was just pulling Sam's leg; they both knew Sam had neither the intelligence to become a wizard nor the brawn to become a warrior; and also that he had the disposition of neither. Sam's wisdom was plain common sense, he knew right from wrong and when push came to shove, was able to choose the lesser of two evils.

In light of the above quote, I suppose it is rather ironic that later Sam thrice accepted the mantle of warrior when it was thrust upon him: 1) when he picked up his sword to successfully defend Frodo's body from Shelob; 2) when he overcame his fear and stormed the Tower of Cirith Ungol to rescue Frodo from the Orcs; and 3) when he took part in the last great battle in The Shire. And I guess we could even call the work he did with 'The Lady's Present', "wizardry".
'Share and enjoy'

rednell

Samwise Gamgee

Post#152 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In Tolkien's words:
Letter #72 to Christopher
' Samwise (Old english- Halfwit)'

'My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 War, and recognised as so far superior to myself' (J R R Tolkien: a biography. Carpenter, Humphrey)

When Tolkien created Sam, I don't think he knew at the time how loyal and brave Sam would become as the story developed. In the end he saw Sam was not really a samwise but indeed a man that reminded him of the enlisted men who served him during the war.
I love the irony too, Grondy.
BTW: I took the LOTR personality test and apparently I have a lot in common with Sam.
Kindred spirit, I guess. :inlove:

TomBombadillo

Samwise Gamgee

Post#153 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In the end he saw Sam was not really a samwise but indeed a man that reminded him of the enlisted men who served him during the war.

Aahh. Now that's nice. I always saw Sam that way. A brave servant, foolish enough to do anything to protect his master. :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

grondmaster

Samwise Gamgee

Post#154 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

... foolish enough to do anything to protect his master. :D
I thought that was "loyalty" not "foolishness" :D
'Share and enjoy'

swampfaye

Samwise Gamgee

Post#155 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think we should mistake loyalty for foolishness even if our loyalty leads us to foolish actions - loyalty is at least something to respect - even in evil. That's why we despise Saruman so much... he wasn't even loyal.

gnampie

Samwise Gamgee

Post#156 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In light of the above quote, I suppose it is rather ironic that later Sam thrice accepted the mantle of warrior when it was thrust upon him: 1) when he picked up his sword to successfully defend Frodo's body from Shelob; 2) when he overcame his fear and stormed the Tower of Cirith Ungol to rescue Frodo from the Orcs; and 3) when he took part in the last great battle in The Shire. And I guess we could even call the work he did with 'The Lady's Present', "wizardry".

Grondy, I think you forgot to mention his attact on the watcher in the water by the gates of Moria. If I remember well, in the book Sam was the only one to come to Frodo's help when the tentacles grabed him. All the others stood like frozen.

grondmaster

Samwise Gamgee

Post#157 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, and there Sam had to make the choice of who to save, Bill the pony or Frodo. Luckily for the story he chose Frodo and drawing his knife, attacked the tentacle that was pulling Frodo towards the water.
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#158 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think he should have saved Bill, Bill would have been less wimpy in Mordor, a much better choice of ringbearer I reckon.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Samwise Gamgee

Post#159 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:grin:

I didn't say loyalty = foolishness, I just meant... Oh well, I can't explain what I meant cos I can't really remember... :P:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

grondmaster

Samwise Gamgee

Post#160 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Who was the great servant that felt himself unworthy to bear the ring: it was Sam.

Who willingly surrendered the ring after having worn it repeatedly: it was Sam.

Who carried the ring up Mount Doom: it was Sam.

Who was the only ringbearer who had no regrets: it was Sam.

Who bore the ring but had done nothing wrong with it: it was Sam.

Who got to return home and live the good life: it was Sam.

Who was the greatest hero in the story: it was Sam.

These ideas came from Orson Scott Card's essay, 'How Tolkien Means' found in Meditations on Middle-earth (edited by Karen Haber.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”