Samwise Gamgee

Rosie

Samwise Gamgee

Post#51 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

so..... u're saying that elves liked humans??

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#52 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

They liked the Edain (House of Beor, House of Haleth, House of Hador) but weren't mad keen on the easterlings.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ungoliant

Samwise Gamgee

Post#53 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, the Elves respected the Edain...and some were even quite fond of them. The Elves (and the Edain, for that matter) opposed the Easterlings because most of them were under the dominion of Morgoth (Sauron's boss).

Rosie

Samwise Gamgee

Post#54 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

right, gotcha.
so what are we getting at?

swampfaye

Samwise Gamgee

Post#55 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I hate the entire "going into the West" thing... I don't know why, but it bugs me big time about the story. It reminds me of a tradition observed in pre historic America of leaving your old behind to starve or freeze to death and calling it "traveling."

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#56 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've always liked the idea of leaving your old behind......

Of course nowadays it's called putting them in care :D

Ungoliant

Samwise Gamgee

Post#57 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well the Eskimos still do that - they dump their elderly on a nice little iceberg & float them off into the sunset. I think that's barbaric though, but then I'm not an Eskimo so I wouldn't know.

Well the going into the West bit was initially a request from the Valar - Morgoth was still lurking somewhere on ME so the Valar (gods/angels whatever) wanted the Elves to move to Valinor (the West) so that they would be safe. So some did (Eldar), and some didn't(Sindar). Some of the Eldar (the Noldor, i.e. Galadriel etc.) rebelled and returned to ME to pursue Morgoth, who had stolen their Simarils. They eventually got whupped by Morgoth & his armies, and were rescued from annhilation when the Valar took pity on their plight (that's where Earendil comes in) and sent a huge army to ME to fight & defeat Morgoth. They pardoned the Nordor, stuffed Morgoth into the Timeless Void and invited them back to the West, thus leaving the world for men & Sauron to slug over.

Sort of. That's the Silmarillion in a hundred words, with a lot of battles, treachery, romance, heroes, villians, monsters, prophecies and tragedies left out.

As to where we're going with this, I don't know. I'm trying to point out that the Elves were not as stuck up as they may seem to be in LotR, and they left for a reason. And if they did harbour any animosity towards men, there were valid reasons I guess. :)

Rosie

Samwise Gamgee

Post#58 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

hm... i was actually going to read Silmarillion but now i guess i don't have to. since Ungoliant sort of summed it up. :D

the movie sam is so boring! i love the bit in the book where sam throws and apple at Ted... whatshisface in Bree. hilarious.

PlasticSquirrel

Samwise Gamgee

Post#59 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Movie Sam was really crap. Especially for going american when he got excited, and the apple bit, I really missed the apple bit.

swampfaye

Samwise Gamgee

Post#60 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

GRRRRRRRRR Plastic! I loved the movie Sam. I think you don't like Sam at all anyway (and BTW everyone "goes American" when they sing, so it must just be that Sam is in perfect harmony!!)

I just went and saw it again last night and I couldn't help but say "poor Sam!" He's so good and don't forget that Galadriel looked right at him when she said that hope remained while the company was true. That was no mistake of editing, Sam's as true as you can get.

I'm going to have to stick a mini Gollum down your pants Plastic, if you don't stop picking on my poor Sam! ;)

Return to “Characters”