Legolas

grondmaster

Legolas

Post#21 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yup, Legolas' father was Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood. The same Elf King that locked up Thorin and Company in 'The Hobbit'.
'Share and enjoy'

Elspeth

Legolas

Post#22 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmmmm Prince Legolas I think I can definatly live with that.

Brad Pitt, Rosie??? I'm glad they didn't. Not that he isn't great looking but it's so much better sometimes to use not so well known actors portray characters. Even though it might not help them with their future careers eg. Mark Hamil. Not that I think Orlando will have any prob but

I think if I saw Brad Pitt in it I would immedialty think of Jennifer Aniston Or legends of the fall ext and that wouldn't be good when trying to live a fantasy.

Legolas reminds me of Allen Shezar in the manga Escaflowne.

Huan

Legolas

Post#23 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grond - I'm doing my best here!

OK, Thranduil etc I knew that - but all things considered I would have loved to have seen an Elf from The Grey Havens; I mean the Hobbit we already talked about Mirkwood etc, we've meet Rivendell people and Galadrile at Lothlorien etc, so the only "missing" element are Cidran's people. And sconsiddering the symbolic imortance ofthat lot? I would loved to had more info about who they are.

Maybe Tolkien was trying to make it upto Thranduil considering how "badly" he portryed the ELves in Hobbit.

And lets leave Brad Pitt out of this one!

Menecairiel

Legolas

Post#24 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If Brad had gotten the part, I would have jumped out of the window. He is not how I'd picture Legolas.

Okay, back to the REAL topic...

Legolas, Elf Prince and a fine Elf. I can't get enough of him in the books. (I have justed finished reading the Fellowship pf the Ring...again...before I'll be catching the movie this evening) I love it in the book when he and Gimli argues about being blind-folded. And later, he he offers to take Gimli on the same horse. And he calls him his friend. I think that was very cute. Okay, I am hooked...no need to say that.

Oh, btw..this is my first post here. And it will not be the last. So take care, my friends, until I return.

Menecairiel

Legolas_no_Miko

Legolas

Post#25 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Legolas reminds me of Allen Shezar in the manga Escaflowne.

a little bit, only i like Legolas a little better. Allen is a bit too much of a player, but he's still cool.

welcome to the forums Menecairiel! ^_^ :D

Jehanne

Legolas

Post#26 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, I have another legit question about Legolas, no drooling involved (Brad Pitt? ew). This will probably be a long post, sorry.

How old is he?

Orlando has said he (Legolas) is some 2900+ years old, and he must have gotten that from somewhere, but Tolkien never actually says. So I'm curious, all you expert types, what feeling do you get? Old or young (for an elf, of course)?

He constantly refers to the rest of the Fellowship as children (and how annoying must that have been for Gimli?), and when he says that the Rohirrim came out of the north 500 years ago, he seems to be implying that he was around for those 500 years and this is something he remembers. And he makes poetic observations like the fact that he has watched acorns grow up, grow old and die. The terrifically ancient Fangorn makes him feel like a child again, even though Mirkwood is an old forest itself and he doesn't seem to have any similar feelings towards it.

And yet, he doesn't seem to have traveled much, if he's old. He's never been to Lorien, he's never been to Fangorn (and doesn't know much about it). It seems that elves are travelling less as their era ends, and though he seems familiar with Elrond's home, Mirkwood and Rivendell aren't very far apart. But he does know the Lay of Nimrodel, so he's been somewhere to learn it or it's been brought to Mirkwood, so it isn't like no one travels.

And he acts fairly young sometimes. I can't picture Elrond or Thranduil or the other older elves we know doing the head-count with Gimli at Helm's Deep (one of my favorite scenes). He has a quick temper. Elves seem to be a bit tempermental anyway, but not many of the ones we meet are given to the flashes that Legolas shows (like when Gimli is stubborn about being blindfolded). He completely freaks out when they first see the Balrog. He's flexible enough in his opinions to make friends with a dwarf. He's fascinated with the Ents and eager to see Aglarond with Gimli.

I just can't get a fix on him! The best I can come up with is that he's youngish. Maybe a younger son, probably not the heir (since he seems to be Thranduil's messenger to Elrond, and he's a member of the Fellowship. So "a" prince of Mirkwood rather than "the" Prince of Mirkwood.) He's old enough to be an experienced fighter against Orcs and he has no fear of Men (I'm thinking of the first meeting with Eomer), but he's young enough not to be jaded, like Elrond seems sometimes and like his father (not a favorite of mine) seems most of the time.

What are some other opinions? You guys are the experts after all! :)

Menecairiel

Legolas

Post#27 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

According to my resources, Legolas is 2778 years old in the end of the book. However, I am a bit unsure about this and I have no idea how my brother found that out.

Some say he is 9000 years old, which I believe to be an overstatement.

Thanks for the warm welcome, my friends.

Menecairiel

PlasticSquirrel

Legolas

Post#28 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

2778 eh, never really cared enough about Legolas to think about it. But that's pretty young for an elf really, He's only ever seen the Third Age, wheres most of the Elves in the story have been around since at least the second Age. Well, it's not young, but it's not old, if you know what I mean, kind of middle aged I guess...
Hi there Menecairiel, welcome to our world. :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Jehanne

Legolas

Post#29 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, not young, but youngish.

grondmaster

Legolas

Post#30 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Menecairiel.

I figure Legolas was young enough (by elf standards) to not be jaded and to still love his surroundings. At the beginning of the Fourth Age he, with the Greeewood elves that moved there with him, turned Ithilien once again into the fairest country in all the westlands. This was while Gimli was busy playing stonemason in Minas Tirith and artisan in the The Caverns of Helm's Deep. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”