Arwen And Aragorn, A Once In A Lifetime Love Or Just A Summer Time Adventure?

Tinúviel

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to Planet-Tolkien Arwen_Ringbearer.*Methinks we have something in common* ;) I hope you get as much enjoyment from this site as I have.

I believe that the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen is a crutial part of the story as she is, in a big way, a motivator for Aragorn to succeed in overcoming The Shadow and fulfilling his birthright as King.
(Elrond to Aragorn; Appendix A) She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor.

I'm not saying this is the only reason Aragorn wanted to be King, but I'm sure it played a part.

PJ did a very good job of intertwining the stories from the Appendix with the main story from the book. And though many people scorn Arwen's extended role in the movie adaptation, I think PJ kept it at an acceptable level so as not to take away too much from the rest of the book.

The best way I can think of to explain the necessity of Arwen's greater role in the movie is:
The appendices are actually intended to be read and serve to elaborate and enrich the depth of the story; so if one were to say that the 'extra' scenes with Arwen are not really part of the story and should not be in the movie, then I would have to disagree because the events involving Arwen and Aragorn recorded in the Appendix run concurrently with the main story and give us greater insight into Aragorn's character as well as Arwen's. :smoke:

Many of the scenes can be justified with a quote from the Appendix, eg: In FotR when Arwen talks to Aragorn by the shards of Narsil, giving him encouragement "you will face the same evil and you will defeat it"
(from Appendix A) 'And Arwen said: "Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel(Aragorn), shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it."

In TTT when she appears to Aragorn in a dream and when she kisses him after his near-death in the river:
and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought

I think the main reason why so many guys don't like Arwen featuring so much in the movie is because they are affraid of / or don't understand the concept of true love. I mean it's very different to the kind of love found in teen flicks and putrid, mushy romances. ;)

As for Galadriel giving Arwen Nenya, it doesn't make sense to me because in the book she takes it with her to the Undying Lands; and now that in the end the One ring is destroyed, all the remaining rings have lost most (if not all) of their power so there would be no point to Arwen receiving Nenya. But that remains to be seen, since Arwen_Ringbearer has some inside info.
:orcgin: *this little elf is green with envy*

Allyssa

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe your 'theorys' are sound, Arwen ringbearer.

Aragorn is in love with a powerful elf princess. She is able to watch over him from afar, and yes, she seems to be healing him.

She will not take ship. That is why Elrond looks so angry as she is leaving. She is going to Aragorn.

Eowyn will find herself another brave and noble man to love. :D

Just one question: Arwen bearing Nenya? Will Galadriel give it to her, do you think?

Aragorn's ring that he gave to Arwen as an "engagement ring" is the Ring of Barahir - once worn by Finrod Felagund himself. The only thing he owned that was worthy of her.
"May the Angels Guide"

Arwen_RingBearer

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Galadriel will give to Arwen her kingdom, if you have seen pictures or like me have attended some of the first shoottings for The Return Of The King you would have seen Arwen's outfit. She will get married to Aragorn and doing that she will no longer be a peincess but a queen. Galadriel will be leaving Middle-Earth and she will give to Arwen her crown and Nenya, the Ring Of Adamant. Further more, I don't know about you but Faramir is not really good looking........ wonder why Eowyn loves him...... he is a lot better than many but Aragorn is Always The King. :P: :P: :P: :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)
Estel,
Elen sila lumenn omentilmo,
Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au',
Amin mela lle.
Arenel Arwen

rednell

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum, Arwen_RingBearer.
I agree with most of your posting. Tolkien did, in fact, give us lots of detail about Arwen and Aragorn throughout the LOTR books and in the Appendix. I fail to see why so many people have missed it and claim that her role is minor. Quite the contrary, she plays a very significant part in Iluvatar's plan for Middle Earth.
First she saves Frodo

PJ's diviance from Tolkien's book by assigning Arwen the task of getting Frodo to Rivendell did not bother me a great deal, although, I would have preferred that Glorfindel was riding with Frodo on Asfaloth. I never did think it made much sense for an injured little hobbit to ride a large horse solo outrunning the Ringwaiths on his way to Rivendell.
I was quite satified with Arwen saving Frodo( as Tolkien intened) by giving him her seat on the ship to the undying lands.

My interpretation of Elrond's apprehensions about Arwen's choice was very similar to how PJ presented them in TTT. Not only did Elrond try to discourage the relationship, but so did Aragorn's mother, Gilraen (ROTK/Appendix)
In conclusion I believe that all of those that say that the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen is not described, are wrong

I agree that it is described in the book if you read between the lines and the appendix. And as you say, it is difficult to translate this to the screen. I understood it and thought it was done quite well.

Stonehelm

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the main reason why so many guys don't like Arwen featuring so much in the movie is because they are affraid of / or don't understand the concept of true love.

Huh? What? Us guys understand the concept all right,(or at least I do) I never watch those rotten shows for teenagers, and I don't think that they represent real life at all. I liked Arwen in the movie, I didn't mind the changes with her at all.
I will never raise the white flag.

Tinúviel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good for you Stonehelm :happyelf:

Don't feel offended - I was just making a very broad generalisation. :tigger:

Stonehelm

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No offence at all Arwen*Evenstar* ;)
I will never raise the white flag.

Ross

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the main reason why so many guys don't like Arwen featuring so much in the movie is because they are affraid of / or don't understand the concept of true love

I understood as well I just think it sucked that the Pj Book Butcherer, decided to try and fix what wasn't broke.

As for Galadriel giving Arwen Nenya, it doesn't make sense to me because in the book she takes it with her to the Undying Lands; and now that in the end the One ring is destroyed, all the remaining rings have lost most (if not all) of their power so there would be no point to Arwen receiving Nenya.

Well said.

I agree that it is described in the book if you read between the lines and the appendix

Yup!
Sod off I'm busy!

Return to “Characters”