Eowyn

Huan

Eowyn

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Plastic, a compliment ... mmmm. well I'll take that as being Friday night blues. According to the post it was after midnight, Friday night and you're on the forum. Lets put it down to melancholy. Lets here the "devil" in ya!

Rosie

Eowyn

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

David Wenham...never heard of him. Though i feel like i should've.. you know, living in Australia and watching Aussie tv and everything..
but since Eowyn and Faramir will be no where near as good lookin' as Aragorn and Arwen, i don't think there'll be THAT much tension goin' on. yeah Sean Bean's a hottie :D

PlasticSquirrel

Eowyn

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I do actually really like Eowyn, I just have a habit of playing Devil's Advocate around here a lot, you'll get used to it! And we need more well-argued posts like yours Jehanne (and most of yours actually Huan) tis a breath of fresh air around here.
Please take this very rare compliment graciously! :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Eowyn

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Don't know much about Miranda Otto, but am interested in your thoughts about Eowyn

I liked her too. She gave the book a human female touch, ie, she showed traits and frailtys like falling in love with the wrong guy, anger at being patronised by her brother and uncle and rebelliousness by following her father anyway. She was also very brave. Cant see me fighting a Nazgul, I think I would have hid and hoped it would go away. Who says Tolkien's women were all old-fashioned and weak? Eowyn is modern and strong enough for even 2002 tastes.
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Eowyn

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Didn't even know she was an Aussie, hope sh'e good though, and I'd like some more info on her too. I'm sure we'll get a million interviews with her in the lead up to the TTT next year though.

Jehanne

Eowyn

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eowyn was so much more interesting than Arwen that I always felt a bit cheated that she didn't get to marry Aragorn! (although Faramir was a good replacement) She was wonderfully complex, unlike all the rest of the beautiful and virtuous (and dull) women we meet. Not to knock the elf ladies, but they are a bit tough to relate to. I'd like to think I'd be like Eowyn, but not a chance. I'd be hiding from the Nazgul with you, Allyssa!

I always wondered if there was a reason she was so much more faceted than the other women. Not that I don't trust Tolkien's ability to create a full-rounded female character, but most of his others are such lofty, idealized creatures (or they're big bugs). Eowyn is lightyears beyond the others in personality. Did Tolkien know some tough, passionate, fierce lady who impressed him? Some scholar who braved the halls of tweed, maybe? (a spiritual grandmother for me!) His wife sounds like she was sweet and kind, but not really an Eowyn.

um... done ranting now. heh.

Ungoliant

Eowyn

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi, Jehanne. Agree with everything you've said about Eowyn.

Hmm, I read somewhere that Edith wasn't as strait-laced as I thought...seemed that JRR based the story of Luthien & Beren on Edith dancing for him in some moonlit grove. So maybe she had other qualities that we don't know about... ;)

I sometimes wonder why Tolkien chose to depict some of his strongest females as bugs. Maybe he thought that male readers of that era would instinctively resist identifying with too many non-stereotypical female characters, and thus chose to represent them in -albeit grotesque - forms that they would be able to accept. Boys *do* tend to be fascinated, instead of repulsed, by spiders & bats. :)

Or maybe Tolkien was simply old-fashioned and balked at the idea of portraying evil in a womanly form. But I also try to imagine how a LoTR full of well-rounded, complex women would have fared in the '40s and '50s. Would it have been as successful?

Jehanne

Eowyn

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like the idea of Edith dancing (and I always liked Luthien). And really, considering some of the writings of Tolkien's contemporaries, I'm just glad that he created one Eowyn. Arwens and Shelobs are more typical of the era (personality-wise, of course, not spider-wise).

I think you're probably right that his audience wouldn't have been comfortable with a large number of strong-willed, non-conformist women characters. Arwen's the perfect courtly princess, and I can see how she would have been appealing in a world that was scarred by war, and changing much faster than Tolkien (and his peers) liked. And the spider-ladies certainly have a long (indirect) genealogy of ensnaring evil women, particularly in the Arthur mythos. I suppose Tolkien was writing in the "language" he knew best, in which will and fallability were male traits, and women who held them were often less than admirable. So bravo to him for making Eowyn so wonderful!

PS- Ungoliant- I like your name. Always liked those spider-ladies!

Huan

Eowyn

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good day ladies - good stuff here. I've always insisted that Tolkien knew sweet f. all about women and just couldn't write about hem. All virgins and angels. At forst I figured he would make a synthesis of Arwen/Eowyn but now I guess its different. Although I think Liv Tyler did a great job with her character considering the material she had to deal with.
Concerning Eowyn - loved her character although I'm not sure she's as entirely "cool" as you make her out to be. Although not your regular Tolkien character, she 's still basically a n Amazonic kind of portrayal. (Now I haven't re-read Book 3 in a few years so all this is from memory) Sure she stands up to the male postAuthorIDities of Rohan but the way I see it is written is that Eowyn, learning that Aragorn will not "marry" her has decided life is no longer worth living and she wants to go off and die in combat. HAving survived she is disappointed but is "saved" becasue of Faramir......
MMMM - not too sure this is a "strong " a female character as you make her out to be. Strongheaded yes - but in the way of Tolkien - which basically means she's thick skinned, silly, doesn't understand all thats going on around her and needs a good man to put her right. Wonder what life is like back in Ithilien with Farmair and Eowyn. ?
Lets talk.

PlasticSquirrel

Eowyn

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bloody good point Huan! She was not brave at all, was she? She was some dippy bint who wanted to top herself cos Strider wouldn't do her. S'not Her fault that Merry got in the way and topped the Nazgul for her.

Return to “Characters”