Am i the only one who pities Gollum?

Airecristiel

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I pity Gollum, of course I do. Just as much as I pitied Bilbo when he had a hard time givig the ring up and Frodo for having to be the ringbearer.

I don't think it was Gollums fault for taking the ring, I think the ring wanted to be found, it made Deagól go down and fetch it and it made Sméagol strangle his friend, just to get the ring.
It also made Sméagol go into the mountains where it waited. When Bilbo came there, it left Sméagol of its own free will and it made Bilbo find it. Everything just to get back to its master. All of the ringbearers where just bricks on its way back to Sauron.
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
/Oscar Wilde

Littleirena

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hullo, Eowen.

I guess i do pity Gollum a bit for what was happening to him-and the ring and all, though that was his choice-at first-he could have not taken the ring, and not hid with it, and not keep it to himself.
Though Frodo had to have the ring, and accually, at the end, he does get a bit tooo atached, and ,,, well, i'll let you read it for yourself ;) to not spoil it . :D

:wiggle:

Littleirena

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Very very true Aire, WOW-that just makes me realize(one more step closer)how extreemely powerfull the ring is- Sauron was extreemely bad!!!
Imagine is Melkor made that ring-i don't even wanna think about how more powerfull that one would be-
Anyways, I also pity bilbo- and even Sam since he got the ring for only a bit- though i think Sam was really strong about it, and didn't let the ring get to him.

:wiggle:

Elda

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Eowen(I told you to correct that :)
Well you are not the only one who feel's pity about Smeagul...but he is tricky which make's him kinda bad

Eowen

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that is a very good point, Aire. The ring made him do everything he did. It was because of the ring he leads them to Shelob. The only thing is that he is sly, so you have to watch your back!!!

Tinúviel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I really do pity Gollum too, because part of him (Smeagol) is trying to be good - even though his Gollum persona takes over in the end. I think Smeagol could have had a chance if he hadn't felt that Frodo had betrayed him, but that would have led to a chain of events with cataclysmic consequences.

However I do think that Smeagol had an evil streak to begin with... I don't think that Bilbo or Frodo would have murdered their best friend to get the ring before they'de ever even owned it for a while. I mean Smeagol seemed to be a bit too easily influenced by the rings powers.

Airecristiel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Of course Sméagol was easily influenced by the ring. You've gotta remember that not all people have a strong mind and the power to resist the will of the Ring.
I don't think he would have strangled Deagól if it would have been any other ring. But since it was The One Ring and Sméagol had a weak mind...

And as for his personalities, I think Gollum is the one obssesed with the Ring, because when the Ring leaves Gollum, Sméagol was able to come back again. Sméagol probably didn't wanted to be obsessed by the ring and therefore he had to project the obsession to someone else, and when there were noone, he made someone up, Gollum.

Gollum and Sméagol are constantly struggeling eachother over who should have the power over the body. Sméagol was the weaker one and therefore Gollum was able to take control. When Frodo lets Gollum out of the ropes, Sméagol comes forth and takes the control.

I also think Sméagol had an evil streak, just like everyone has got an evil streak. When he made Gollum up he projected all of his evil thoughts and desires over to him, as well as the obsession with the Ring. Unfortunately with this his also projected the major part of his power to decide and therefore he became the weaker one.
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

/Oscar Wilde

Arwen_RingBearer

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I do pity him, I understood what the ring did to him the very first time i read the book, it started to touch me deeply when i read it for the 56th time. ehehehe, anyway, I think that he deserves all of our love because he is the one that got hurt with Frodo and all those who found or had to carry the Ring, Sam too. Since I like him so much I would was wondering if you guys here at the forum could do me a favor and call him Smeagol, I find that calling him Gollum is mean, because Gollum is not who the character really is. Smeagol wasn't made, in my opinion, to make us all wonder about Gollum, but to make us understand how material things can hurt us. And how the Ring really deeply hurt the poor Smeagol.
Estel,
Elen sila lumenn omentilmo,
Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au',
Amin mela lle.
Arenel Arwen

musicimprovedme

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have much pity for Gollum! He is a very bittersweet character. In TTT you see the struggle between Gollum and Smeagol which makes you want to encourage him to exorcise his demons. And in the movie, those poor eyes, you know that Smeagol has not forgotten what he used to be and appreciates that Frodo sees it too but he just can't seem to get a grip and pull himself back to what he once was.

Maybe you all are tired of my comparisons and symbolism but I will just out with it and qualify my thoughts by saying that I don't know what Tolkien tried to say about anything. However, this helps me understand things better...I think the Ring has HIGHLY addictive properties and those affected by it are, in a way, JUNKIES to it. In the same way that addictive things (drugs, alcohol, etc etc) sometimes take a perfectly wonderful person and turn them into something we don't recognize, so has Gollum become what he never should have been. And I agree with those of you who have been thinking how hideous it is that when the Ring was done with Gollum it abandoned him in his madness... :(

Return to “Characters”