A hypothetical situation for discussion

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that the only member of the Fellowship who had any chance of getting the Ring into Mordor other than Frodo is Sam. The other members of the Fellowship already have a certain amount of power in their hands, so it would be even more dangerous for them to be in charge of the Ring.

(This follows from the same logic that keeps Gandalf and Galadriel from taking the Ring. The Ring gives power according to its bearer; having a powerful Ring-bearer is dangerous for the unlucky person and the whole world.)

Most likely if there was another Ring-bearer, the Ring would not have gone to Mordor; they would have attempted to use the Ring against Sauron and then everything would have been lost...

Frodo and the other Hobbits, though, have no particular power outside of the Shire. I think that, beyond strong will, helped Frodo resist the Ring. He knows he can't command armies or rule the world; since he has very little real power and never has experienced it, he isn't tempted as much.

Any of the Hobbits might have been ok carrying the Ring if they understood the gravity of the situation as well as Frodo. Merry and Pippin may have been too irresponsible and not taken things seriously enough, but I think that Sam might have been able to handle it. But that sort of leads to the question, would Frodo have gone with him and stuck with him the way Sam did?

That right there might be the biggest problem if the Ring-bearer had been anyone but Frodo. Assuming that the bearer was able to get into Mordor, what would have happened then? By then, the Ring would have worn anyone down the way it did to Frodo. The quest was only successful because Sam was by Frodo's side the entire time; there wasn't so close a bond between any two other members of the Fellowship.

And so now I've come to a totally different conclusion than I started with. I don't think anyone would have been successful except for Frodo. And now I also re-read the actual question and realized I didn't actually answer what you asked, musicimprovedme...sorry :P: ...here's my two cents' worth anyhow...

Also, God help us all if I was the one to carry the Ring...odds are I'd get lost or fall into a hole somewhere...

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Chikakat, you aren't the only one who would probably fall in a hole. If you care to read it, I posted a postBody at one of the pubs about being clumsy. I have fallen in a hole a few times and it's NOT fun.

Thanks for taking the time to post, isn't it funny how we talk ourselves around to the other side of a discussion?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And Sam, when the ring came to himand he wore it, had a moment of grandeour and just like Galadriel, let it pass him by knowing he was only a little fellow in a big wide world, and he went in search of Frodo.

Yes, Sam would have tried to destroy The One Ring. We can only hope that Merry or Pippin would, but have nothing but their racial background to base this on, IMHO.
'Share and enjoy'

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that Frodo is the only one who could have destroyed the Ring... Sam would definately have tried, but he isn't very trusting, he probably would've tried to get to Mordor with just his Hobbit companions and inevitably have failed; he never would've trusted Smeagol to guide them.

I too think that Merry and Pippin would've been far too irresponsible - they probably would've played around with the ring til one of the wraiths captured them.

Boromir like a true power hungry megalomaniac would've tried to be king of the world - I doubt he would even have waited for Denethor to die before claiming the throne for himself (or maybe I'm being a bit to harsh). Anyway, after Sauron had overcome his fit of laughter over Boromir's efforts to overthrow him he would've taken back his ring and sentenced Boromir to a lifetime of torment and torture.

Any of the more powerful characters: Gandalf, Aragorn, Galadriel, would've defeated Sauron and restored peace and order in Middle-Earth, but eventually would fall into darkness (some sooner than others) as the remainder of Sauron's spirit would live in them through the ring and would've corrupted the inner core of their souls.

If I were given the ring, I'd probably try to hide it in the hope that Sauron would never find it, which he ultimately would. :sad:

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hobbits is verry strong speaces and Frodo is like a Bilbo most of time can give ring to somebody.You have see what ring do to Isildur and Boromir.I think that nobody else then Hobits can't caried ring in Mordor and destroyed him.many of you knows that Gollum was hobit too but he have ring too much time ;)

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's acutally quite simple. This goes for all characters in Lotr. First you would notice a change in your hair pattern. In a few days you'd have a mullet haircut and a beta-max player attached to your horse, followed by boot cut bell bottoms and some sort of hippie-liberal t-shirt to clash with your redneck persona. When all is said and done you would diminish into the old forest with radagast, beorn, and Tom bombadil, and become some philandering tree-hugger.

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yup, a complete character change could be the result of taking on the ring. However, being already a capital "L" Liberal, I don't see the end result of Komosot's description as being evil personified. Maybe what he described was only as seen through the eyes of a red-necked skin-head and what one of them might consider to be an evil metamorphous. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Characters”