Willow

gandalf-olorin

Willow

Post#1 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:09 am

Maybe others will remember this little flick more easily than Krull. Who could forget Willow and his friend Meegosh who set off with a human baby, Elora Danaan, and meet Mad Mardigan? Who could forget the brownies Rool and Frangine (one of whom falls into a beer)? Who could forget Val Kilmer's debut as a woman?

This movie had some big names, and some who later became big. Billy Barty played the old Nelwin wizard. Val Kilmer went on to do other things like Batman. And of course Willow himself--Who was it?--went on to glory in Star Wars.

So who liked Willow?

eva lilith

Willow

Post#2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Willow! Oh, my gosh, I love that movie. My dad can’t watch it any more because any time he and my mom went to a movie or something, us kids would watch it, and it would be at about the same scene when they got home- when all the fighters are being turned into pigs. The scene in Fellowship of the Ring (the movie) where Gandalf and Saruman are fighting always reminded me very much of the fight between Rasel (or however you spell that) and Bavmorda near the end. And Elwyns are really quite a lot like hobbits. Plus, I believe that the actor who played Willow (I don’t know his name either) was also Reepacheep and I think Glimfeather in the TV Chronicles of Narnia… Anyway, this movie is definitely an enjoyable (and hilarious) adventure. “That way!” :elfbiggrin:

miruvor

Willow

Post#3 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Willow is my favourite fantasy film, together with the Neverending Story and to a lesser extent, Legend.

rednell

Willow

Post#4 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:11 pm

You people have great taste in movies. Willow is one of my all time favorites, along with The Neverending Story (book is a favorite of mine too). :D
There has been so much credit given to Weta for the special effects in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Ring films but a lot of the credit should go to the people who worked on Willow. A lot of the special effects, such as morphing and the massive software, were developed for that film. Weta may have refined things a bit, but without Willow, we may not have had The Lord of the Rings trilogy on the big screen.

eruwen

Willow

Post#5 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Yep, love all three of these movies, and especially Willow. I really wanted to be Sorsha.

Hey, my name is in Neverending Story! "Say my name!!!"

miruvor

Willow

Post#6 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey, my name is in Neverending Story! "Say my name!!!"

Are you the Childlike Empress?

eruwen

Willow

Post#7 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, not exactly anymore, the Childlike Empress is all grown up now. :imtheking:

miruvor

Willow

Post#8 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 pm

So, have you been harassed by Rasputin and his evil albino bat lately?

gandalf-olorin

Willow

Post#9 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:01 pm

As I recall, the Childlike Empress' name was Moonflower (or was it Moonchild?). But if I had known there was an interest in The Neverending Story, I would have started a thread for just that! It is my wife's all-time favorite, and she introduced me to Bastion and friends about 18 years ago.

But, getting back to Willow... Nell, I never knew all that about Weta and the special effects in Willow. That is quite interesting! I don't know if any special effects will ever equal the sight of Val Kilmer in drag!

And I loved that fight between Fin Rozell and Bavmorda. It used to creep out my kids to see the brazier chasing Willow and trying to chomp him. But let's not forget Mad Mardigans' fight with the Eberisk and later with Kael. Great swordsmanship!

miruvor

Willow

Post#10 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm

I seem to remember that Bavmorda's daughter was also involved into that final sorcery duel, no? Bavmorda tried to spike her daughter, if i'm not mistaken.

I also found the influence of the love-powder on Mad Martigan quite hilarious. I should watch it again some time. Good stuff.

EDIT : and didn't Martigan jump on top of a big beast's head and stuck his sword into its brains? Hah, so much for Legolamb's originality in downing a cavetroll. Pah.

Return to “Older Movies”